Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A doohickey by any other name...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebias

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Question of the day.

Both of my Century Graphics have a plastic thingy on the top of the body opposite the viewfinder. It appears to possibly hold a shutter release. But I can't seem to get one to fit the thing, and I've tried about 10 different cable releases.

It's plastic, roundish. Screwed on the back left corner. Has a slot in the right side.

If it is, in fact, a shutter release holder - is there a specific kind of shutter release I should be looking for?

And if it's not - what the heck is it?

d

clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my Century Graphic has no such thing. Must be an after-market add-on. I've owned several Centuries, dating back to buying new ones in the 50's, and have never seen anything like what you described. Sounds like it may be what you suggested...a holder for a cable release...for a left-handed photog. All the releases you tried must be for right-handed folks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's definitely a Graflex option, you'll find them on Centurys and Crown Specials.

Don't show it to an electrician cause he'll know right away that's it a "strain relief gromet" for an electrical cord.

I have one on my Special, except its mounted tothe side, which makes it even worse, cause the cable releases can fall out. Never found a cable release that fit these perfectly....

Les
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Les. A new one on me. Live and learn. Fred.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les is right - it is the mounting fixture for a cable release that was popular at that time. My Century came with it installed, new. The cable release you want is a relatively short, black CLOTH-covered release with a little locking knob sticking out the side. You'll notice the fixture has the large opening toward the front [unless it has turned on the camera] and a narrow opening off to the side [left as I remember]. The locking knob of the release fitted down into that narrow slot, thereby sorta locking the release head [with the end you push naturally coming out the rear] into the fixture. Worked very well as I recall.

It is mounted toward the back so that your left thumb naturally falls in the right place to use it while holding the Century.

Century owners had to struggle with these little toys until Graflex came out with the xl handle. Upon demand, Graflex then produced a bracket to use the xl handle on the Century [but not the 4x5] and the Century became one of the sweetest operating cameras there was [is]. That handle had the built-in cable release [in a god-awful yellow color though]. The camera is balanced beautifully with it.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-11-15 06:40 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got left behind on that option. My Centuries all came with the el cheapo self-cocking Century shutter and Trioptar lens...and I shot many, MANY pictures with them. Photos taken with the Century and sold in the halls in high school earned me my lunch money. I didn't realize it was cumbersome. I slipped my left hand under the strap to grip it in classical fashion and reached around the flash unit to trip the shutter with its lever. Wish I could re-live those days. Uh...sorry for waxing nostalgic. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: