Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras with shutters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other then the graflexes did any other LF cameras have built in shutters?
Les

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Graflex SLR had it's share of competitors, the Klaap reflex, and Watson made a cameras similar to the Super D, I'm sure there were others too.

Most if not all had a focal plane shutter, and the Klaap used a twin shutter curtain--one leads one trails then both are reset, just like your 35mm camera. I"m not sure if Watson was a double curtain as well.

as for Graphic cameras, I can't think of any at the moment.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-07 10:44, Nick wrote:
There were english and german. Without thinking hard, in the UK Thornton Pickard and Ensign made LF SLRs with FP shutters. TP also made "roller blind shutters" to be used in front of barrel lenses. And there were others in the U.S., some post-WWII. The Beseler Press, for example, has an FP shutter.

We have to remember that photography as we know it was invented in GB, W. H. Fox Talbot's calotype process. There were many, many manufacturers of photographic gear, including LF SLRs and press cameras with FP shutters, in the UK and Germany.

I fear our perspective is warped a little by our concentration on the great American press camera and its relatives. I don't know how Graflex did it, but none of their domestic competitors did well. Overseas things were somewhat different.

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I was thinking of bidding on a camera. I think it was a Century view camera. When I was first checking it out I saw a shutter release cable and thought Packard? Then I noticed it wasn't a bulb but a standard plunger type cable. I spent some time finding a few pictures of what the camera should look like and something kept nagging at me. At some point I notice just how BIG the rear end of the camera was. Seemed like somebody had tacked on a 4" thick back onto the camera. At first I thought it was for the later 5x7 back that the camera had instead of what it left the factory with. Camera was bigger then 5x7 but the seller wasn't sure how big. Could have been 8x10 or full plate [8x6?].

If the price had stayed low I would have bid on it. But the price went up. Considering all the issues the camera had. Short bellows. 5x7 instead of the 8x10 I wanted. Limited movements. I let it go without bidding. But that back with it's shutter is nagging at me-))
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-07 10:44, Nick wrote:
Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2928072653&category=15247
Les

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even back before the speed graphic, Folmer & Schwing marketed a focal plane shutter for most view cameras, they went inbetween the camera and the back (much like an extension in a socket/set) I don't think they made them for 4x5 but they did make them from 5x7 through 8x10.

I think Pickard had the better idea with the shutter either just behind the lens or in front of it. With the F&S system, the shutter travel time on and 8x10 would have a effect on the image if there was anything moving.

For example the 4x5 Speed Graphic focal plane, when properly adjusted travels 1/8" in 1/1000th of a second (the old Pre Anns used the dimensions of the slit) So the shutter travel time would be 4x1/8 or 32/1000 of a second or 1/30th of a second.

With an 8x10 in horizontal mode the travel time extens to 1/15th. Shooting race horses as they pass will look awfully strange as their feet are left far behind their heads. (a 40mph horse travels 3.9 feet in 1/5th of a second.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: