Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contact Print Paper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make 4x5 contact prints to file with my 4x5 negs. using Kodak Azo paper. I finally ran out of 4x5 cut sheets of Azo (the 500 sh. box lasted 7 years!). I like using an old metal contact printer vs. an enlarger/print frame since the contact printer that I have has a foolproof masking/paper alignment system. I often make extra copies for albums, etc. since the borders are neat. The problem: Kodak quit making Azo in 4x5 cut sheets. Is there any slow-speed, normal grade contact paper available in 4x5 cut sheets? If not, I'll have to purchase a 100sh. box of 8x10 Azo and cut it down or go back to using a proof print frame (proof 4 negs. at a time) and forget about neat borders.
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will know better than me the answer to this question, and may point out that I'm 100%, but I was under the impression that Azo is a printing-out paper, the stuff they used in the old days to make contacts (just like you've been using it), and that other papers are going to either react differently or have different characteristics than what you're used to. I think I recall it being blue-sensitive. If you really REALLY like your system, I'd so go for the big box and chop it down. After all, you don't know when Kodak may quit producing Azo all together. Also, I remember in a magazine called View-Camera some years ago an article about using Azo paper. I have the magazine, and may come across it in my closet during spring cleaning this week Don't know if it will tell you anything you don't already know, but it was enough to get me interested in Azo.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we used in "the old days", i.e. the 40's and 50's, to make contact prints, was Kodak Velox. Fred.
Jim23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azo is not "Printing-Out-Paper." That was a product called Kodak Studio Proof. There used to be two (or more) Kodak contact print papers (either could be developed in Dektol, etc.). Velox was discontinued in the 1970's at some point. Only Azo remained. I was wondering if any other paper manufacturers still make contact print paper. I've checked Ilford and Agfa and they don't.

Contact print paper is a bromide, fiber-based paper just like enlarging paper (i.e. the old Kodabromide, etc.) except it has a much lower sensitivity for exposing the paper in a contact print box with a 15w lamp. Another experiment that I am going to try is to use a much smaller lamp and use normal graded enlarging paper.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not fiber and this store doesn't seem to have 4x5 but-))

http://jandcphotography.com/Photopapers.htm

Foma Fomatone

I'm betting Azo would be better but it's one more choice.

Couldn't you put some sort of ND filter in front of the lamp? The gel sheets should be okay if it's between the light and the negative.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-04-16 08:33 ]
Jim23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...I am going to order the 8x10 Azo and cut it down and repack it in four boxes. I did find some out-of-date NOS, but would rather order fresh. Thanks for the lead on J&C. I noticed that they have 2x3 cut film, I want to order some and give it a try in my Century 23 (I am currently using HP5+ whenever I want the flexibility of sheet film and the quicker operation of the focusing panel w/o having to remove the roll back).
Regards,
Jim
paxety

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring this thread up to date, Azo is still made in grade 2 and grade 3, thanks to the efforts of Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee. They are now dealers for the paper, and are the only suppliers of grade 3 in 100-sheet boxes. Their web site contains a forum that answers lots of questions about Azo, developers, etc.
http://www.michaelandpaula.com

juan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: