Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Graphic model, and lense (affordable) for landscape p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanse58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I am getting ready to take the plunge into 4x5 photography because I have not been happy with either my medium or 35 mm landscape shots. What I would like to know is, why graphic do I want? (I've ruled out the view graphic for now). I will want the following options:
Wide angle.
6x7 120 film adapter.
Good(affordable)wide angle lenses for both 4x5 and 120.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
S
Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best bang for your graphic buck is:

4x5 Crown Pacemaker with a side (Kalart) rangefinder and a spring (AKA Graphic) back.

120 and 220 capability is handed nicely with a Calumet C2 or C2N roll film holder (the N is black and stands for 'new' when they came back out with them 10 years ago) . this will slide in and out like a film holder, so you don't have to remove the Ground glass

Budget lenses

135 Ektar/Optar in a Graphex shutter
90mm Schneider Angulon (2nd choice 90mm optar)
65mm Angulon for wide 6x7 (optional)

Better lenses

135/150 Symmar S
90mm Gold ring Dagor

65mm Super Angulon (covers 4x5)
(optional) 58mm Grandigon. (This will need some help to mount it on a Graphic board but it will cover 4x5 barely.

The only flaw in this set up is you won't be able to rangefinder focus with the roll back in place. If you want to use inferior Graflex back then you need a Top RF Crown with a Graflok back and $50 more.
hanse58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Thanks for th info! With limited bucks, I'd like to make some sound choices up front and I think your information will help a great deal!
Shane
Springback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be using a tripod or shooting handheld? The Crown Graphic gives you the option, but if you intend to work with a tripod and use extreme movements there are other options worth looking at. If you can find an original (wood) crown, or a close copy(Agfa-Ansco Burke and James, or Korona) you'll have a lightwieght flatbed field camera with loads of movement---of course none of those models are handholdable. While the Crown and Koronas seems to be more of a collector's(expensive) piece, you can find Agfas and B&Js quite cheap($100+or-), often with a lens and if you want to get really crazy you can fit 5x7 backs on board for some satisfying contacts for the same money(or less) than a Crown Graphic. Don't get me wrong, I love my Crown Graphic and its one of the best entrees into LF going, but how do you shoot your 35mm and MF cameras? The Graphic is probably as fast a 4x5 as you'll find, but if your grafted to a tripod all the time you might be happier an Agfa or Burke and James.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really feel committed to 4x5, why not go with a Century Graphic? The 6x7 roll film back will give you exactly the same results as it will on a Crown, and the movements on the Century are plenty adequate for landscapes. With Optar lenses (101, 90 and/or 65) in Graphex shutters you would have an affordable combination that should provide satisfaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: