Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Super D for portraits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raybel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Linhof on a tripod for portraits but would love to try using 5x4 RB super D hand held and with electronic flash sync. This is possible is it ? Does anyone have experience of this and where can I find a camera in U.K or U.S.A. - I have tried the graflex.org links. Any help much appreciated
vistashift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handheld is out. the electronic sync if you want to call it that is the time it takes the curtain to fall. best
you can hope for is about a tenth, more generally closer to a fifth. nevertheless it is probably the greatest large format camera for animated portraits in the history of photography--but on tripod with electronic flash the way i used i t for years in the studio. reason for greatest: you dont have to do anything but press the shutter release when the perfect pose and expression confront you. with a linhof or view at that moment you lose touch with your subject as you have to 1.close the shutter.2 stop down the lens.3 insert the film holder.4 pull the slide 5 pull you hair out as that great pose and expression were lost while you had to fumble around.. Greg Heisler shots the man of the year with the 45 super d because no other large format camera
even approaches the super d in ability to insure a natural spontaneous expression in capturing the perfect moment without the debilitating delays outlined above. go for it!

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 20:40, vistashift wrote:
handheld is out. the electronic sync if you want to call it that is the time it takes the curtain to fall. best
you can hope for is about a tenth, more generally closer to a fifth. nevertheless it is probably the greatest large format camera for animated portraits in the history of photography--but on tripod with electronic flash the way i used i t for years in the studio. reason for greatest: you dont have to do anything but press the shutter release when the perfect pose and expression confront you. with a linhof or view at that moment you lose touch with your subject as you have to 1.close the shutter.2 stop down the lens.3 insert the film holder.4 pull the slide 5 pull you hair out as that great pose and expression were lost while you had to fumble around.. Greg Heisler shots the man of the year with the 45 super d because no other large format camera
even approaches the super d in ability to insure a natural spontaneous expression in capturing the perfect moment without the debilitating delays outlined above. go for it!

Gowland TLR?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: