Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Graflex Jr. Film Holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I come to the Gurus of Graflex seeking information. Just received my Auto Graflex Jr, which appears to be equipped with an early version of a film pack adapter. The back, as I'm sure you already know, is "flat", covered with black felt, and any film holder slips under the top of the back and is locked into place with a diagonally-adjusting clamp not unlike what is on a camera with a Graflok back. My 2X3 Graphic Film holders won't fit because of the ridges...same is true for my Graphic 23 roll film holders. My question is: what are my options for film holders? Does a Grafmatic fit this? Are there GrafLEX not GraPHIC film holders, floating around somewhere that will fit this? The camera is in very good operating condition...just need to be able to attach some film. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-10 14:15 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the older knobwind roll film holders the backs will say "Graphic 22 or "Graphic 23" They also made "Graflex 22" and "Graflex 23" in all three film size formats. These will fit your camera. Suydam also made a roll holder for Graflex cameras.

I'm suspicious that a 2x3 Grafmatic WILL fit your camera. Now if you move up to 4x5, the dimentions change and they made both GPAPHIC Grafmatics and GRAFLEX Grafmatics.

but again I think the 2x3 is interchangeable.
the only place I know to look for 2x3 Graflex holders is ebay.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Again, Les. Fred.
P.S. There's a 2X3 Graphic Grafmatic *******, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=710&item=1949248498&rd=1 ,but it looks like it has ridges like a Graphic Film Holder.
P.S.S. Will THIS work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=1950955942&rd=1

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-10 19:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-10 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-10 20:38 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I've found some "slotted" film holders for Graflex at Pacific Rim Camera that should fit my Auto Graflex Jr and am in the process of ordering them. Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes both of those auctions will work on your camera.

Here a series of photos of my Grafmatic. Notice it not only has the ridges for the light trap but the groove as well. Bellow the first image are photos of it on a Graflex-backed mini-speed and a Graflok backed Century

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2003-01-11 12:31 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Les. Will give'em a go. Great photos. Do you upload those from your personal web-site using BB code? Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a mac so I use Fetch to FTP them to my ISPs server with a name. then attach that name to my space on the isps website. For instance my old ISP address was http://www.ismi.net/~lnphoto/ then I would add the photo name which was 2x3grafmatic.jpg. Before sending it up I stitched the photos into one image for faster loading. Once back at the help board I use the BB code [img ] [/img ] to insert it. I could also have typed the full URL in here and it would have come up with a hyperlink.

This is how I was taught to load images for ebay back when ebay auction numbers were just over 1 million.

the photos were shot with a Nikon Coolpix 950. A lot faster than TriX in Dektol straight for 1'30" and printing the wet, then scanning.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les...got it. I think.
At least I've got the Grafmatic and slotted film holders on the way. Gonna play with the BB code tomorrow. Thanks again. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-16 19:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-16 19:55 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the slotted film holders from Pacific Rim....shot a test shot on Ilford HP5 400 2X3...165th/sec @ f16...and the Auto Graflex Jr lives again:
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Grafmatic Film Holder, "23" Graphic, Catalog no. 1266. Won't work on the Auto Graflex Jr. Has a raised rib between the grooved slot and the film opening that prevents it from sitting flat on the Graflex back. Any holder with raised ribs won't work, The Grafmatic works on a Graflok back. Could probably make it work by grinding off the rib and widening the slot...but what the heck..I'll use it on the Century. Have a couple of Graflex holders for the Graflex Jr. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
Look at my top photo of a few posts ago. My grafmatic has a groove between the two raised ribs. Does yours? And it still won't fit? Does the Grafmatic fit snugly top and bottom? (IE are the dimentions right?--in 4x5 Graphic and Graflex holders have a different short dimention)

It's odd that my Grafmatic will fit both a Graflok and a Graflex back, but yours won't. Maybe they changed the specs of the Graflex back?????
ahh yet another inconsistancy..
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les...the raised rib on the Grafmatic between the groove and the film opening is part of the problem. The Graflex Jr back has no groove to accomodate this rib, so it won't fit flush. Also, the groove on the Grafmatic isn't quite wide enough to fit the raised right-side edge of the Graflex Jr back, although it does line up with it. So, it simply doesn't fit. I could re-work it a little as I mentioned above, but prefer to keep it original and use it on the Century. Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you've proven that not all Graflex backs are created equal. I wonder if that neat bag mag would have fit. It was more in keeping with the same decade as the Jr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: