Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown graphic focus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a crown graphic with a top rangefinder. When I focus thru rangefinder and then check the ground glass the image on the glass is not focused. Which is correct the rf or the glass? Shouldn't both be the same. Is there a procedure to correct that I should know?
Thanks
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the image on the ground glass is the same image that will hit the film, so that's the one that counts.

Now Top Rangefinders used a cam to allow the moving mirror to imitate the focus of many lenses.

If your double image moves then you have A cam in there, It's just probably not mated for that lens. It also may be out of adjustment. There is a Graflex manual that will help you.

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground glass is the sharpest possible method of focusing,(providing it is installed correctly) And if properly setup both should be "close" to the same...sounds as if you have the wrong RF cam for the lens you are using! Bert
campy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding.
Should I not bother with it? It seems to off only a little. Will depth of field correct it? I will mostly use the glass but I would like to take some candid shots of people.
Thanks
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's consistantly off the same amount then the rangefinder needs adjusting. If its dead on an infinity and gets progressively worse then its the wrong cam.

Depth of field would certainly help, but unless you are using flash, candids of people are usually hand held, thus a fairly open lens to gain shutter speed, and a loss of depth of field.

When in doubt test. Easier on the nerves to thow out a fuzzy shot of the dead flowers in the back yard than the fuzzy shot of the flower girl at your best friends wedding.

larrys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy --
The top-mounted Graflex RF on my newly-acquired Speed was doing nothing. After hitting the manual, I spotted the tube that stopped a bit before the hinge with apparently no contents, no plunger, no bracket on the rail. What are my chances for finding the missing pieces? Should be an early-mid '50's
camera.
thanx,
-ls-
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call Fred Lustig in Reno NV (look him up in the white pages), he got most of the leftover parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: