Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drop bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a graflex 135mm and a graflex tele-optar 38 cm lens but I can't focus either unless I raise them back to center position. Am I doing something wrong or is this function for shorter lenses?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-14 15:59, L smith wrote:
I have a graflex 135mm and a graflex tele-optar 38 cm lens but I can't focus either unless I raise them back to center position. Am I doing something wrong or is this function for shorter lenses?
The drop bed serves two purposes.

It gets the bed out of the image when shooting with short lenses, e.g., 65/6.8 Raptar and 38/4.5 Biogon on my Century.

It is used for getting front fall (that's downwards rise) with longer lenses. The range and usefulness is limited.

Your 135 barely covers 4x5 wide open so with the lens dropped all the way and wide open you're trying to focus on fuzz. Just focus with the bed dropped and the lens centered, then lower the lens to get the composition you want (higher up on the subject), stop down, and shoot.

Can't comment on y'r problems with the 370, I use a 250 TeleOptar on my 2x3s and its never occurred to me to try movements with it. Haven't tried it, but I don't believe the 250 can be centered on a 2x3 with the bed dropped. Anyway, these lenses don't have tons of coverage, so you many be in the same trouble with the 370 as with the 135.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: