Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Which Graphic for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
84-b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I currently own a Horseman 45FA, And I like it, But... What I really want to be able to do is shoot 4x5 / 6x9 hand held. I would want to use a roll film holder for 6x9. (my current enlarger can only handle negs up to 6x9, but I plan on moving up to one that can handle 4x5.) So... I'm looking for help in choosing a camera. Here's what I think I want, Help me if you can.
I want to be able to change lenses. Can I use my current lenses that are mounted in copal and compur shutters? 75mm, 105mm, 90mm, 180mm, 270mm, ect. Can lenses be changed easily? I know little about cams and rangefinders. Which camera is easier to set,adjust and use regarding cams / rangefinders, and changing lenses? If possible, I would like to have perspective control movements. (I mostly use lens rise and forward tilt on the horseman.)
Any opinions, and help you guy's can give me would be great!
Thanks, 84-b
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-09 16:29, 84-b wrote:
Ok, I currently own a Horseman 45FA, And I like it, But... What I really want to be able to do is shoot 4x5 / 6x9 hand held. I would want to use a roll film holder for 6x9. (my current enlarger can only handle negs up to 6x9, but I plan on moving up to one that can handle 4x5.) So... I'm looking for help in choosing a camera. Here's what I think I want, Help me if you can.
I want to be able to change lenses. Can I use my current lenses that are mounted in copal and compur shutters? 75mm, 105mm, 90mm, 180mm, 270mm, ect. Can lenses be changed easily? I know little about cams and rangefinders. Which camera is easier to set,adjust and use regarding cams / rangefinders, and changing lenses? If possible, I would like to have perspective control movements. (I mostly use lens rise and forward tilt on the horseman.)
Any opinions, and help you guy's can give me would be great!
Thanks, 84-b
If you want forward tilt and a rangefinder that works with several lenses, you might be better off with a 2x3 Horseman that has a rangefinder.

2x3 Graphics don't have forwards tilt, although I understand its possible to reverse the front standard to get it, but this loses backwards tilt. Can't have everything all the time.

Some, not all, of 2x3 Graphics have Kalart rangefinders. No interchangeable cams. As a practical matter, adjusting the finder every time one lens is taken off and another put on is not an option. Graflex' solution was multiple focusing scales on the bed, and the rangefinder set up for one of them. Focus, then set the footage on the correct scale and there you are.

Copal, at least #0 and #1 fit ok, although the #1 will interfere with a Pacemaker's front shutter release. My solution is to take off the bracket that is supposed to snag the shutter's release lever.

Your shorter lenses will work, although putting at least some of them on may require unscrewing the rear cell, putting board, shutter, and front cell on the camera, and then screwing the rear cell on from behind. If I recall correctly, the front standard's throat is ~48 mm across.

Your 270 may be too long to make infinity, not to mention focus closer, on a 2x3 Graphic. Century/Crown maximum extension is ~196 mm, Pacemaker Speed is ~225 mm.

Cheers,

Dan
84-b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I was wondering about the 4x5 graphics, but would use a 6x9 roll film back on it. Does all that you mentioned in your reply apply to the 4x5 versions as well? thanks, 84-b
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a 4x5 does give you a longer bellows so that's not a problem. Top handle rangefinder do have cams but finding the exact cam for you lenses and getting the rangefinder to match every one will be an expensive an arduous task.

Shooting 6x9 on a 4x5 handheld is overkill. You aren't going to handhold a 270 under any conditions and the normal length 127 and 135 will be a bit on the long side for 6x9, though it can be done. shorter lenses make for easier handholding to a point....the 90mm lens will start to show the bed and one the bed is dropped all of your focus scales get skewed, so it's ground glass time.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-10 09:58, 84-b wrote:
Dan,
I was wondering about the 4x5 graphics, but would use a 6x9 roll film back on it. Does all that you mentioned in your reply apply to the 4x5 versions as well? thanks, 84-b
Sorry for not catching on. Much as I like Graphics I think you'd better look elsewhere or reconcile yourself to focusing on the ground glass. I didn't mention Linhof Technika (spelling?), should have; my little brother had a 2x3 Linhof 30 years ago, I've always seen my Century as a very poor man's equivalent.

If you want a 4x5 Graphic, a Super's probably your best bet, but as Les pointed out cams might be a problem and they're not light and and and.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: