Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View - getting new lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManleyPhoto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now the owner of a Graphic View in good condition. I've gone and ordered some bi-post to pc-cord cords so I can do flash photography. I have done some studio work with this camera using availible light and hot lights and want to use it with flash as well. My question is can I get new lenses to fit this? Who can make lens boards to fit this camera? The newer LF lenses have better coating and optics (I think). Let me know if you have any ideas...
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-02 14:54, ManleyPhoto wrote:
I am now the owner of a Graphic View in good condition. I've gone and ordered some bi-post to pc-cord cords so I can do flash photography. I have done some studio work with this camera using availible light and hot lights and want to use it with flash as well. My question is can I get new lenses to fit this? Who can make lens boards to fit this camera? The newer LF lenses have better coating and optics (I think). Let me know if you have any ideas...
Yes, modern lenses will fit it. That's part of the charm of old press and view cameras.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe you can get boards from Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus, OH. Nice people. http://www.mpex.com if my memory hasn't failed completely. Ask them what they can do for you.
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are somewhat handy it is possible to make your own fairly inexpensively. Take a piece of 1/8" hardboard or modeler's plywood and cut a 4"x4" square from it. Cut a hole (hole saw, or better yet a hole cutter intended for use in a drill press) of the correct size to fit the lens and Voila, you have a lens board.

These do come up on e-Bay periodically. You'll just have to know the hole size you need when buying a pre-made lens board.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to make sure the lens will fit your camera. Not longer then your bellows or to o short to focus. If you stay within the limits you should be okay.
Frost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Graphic View II and once had a Graphic View (shorter model monorail) Even the Graphic View would handle my Schneider Symmar 210 MC lens. It is on a Crown Graphic board and I use an adapter with it to go between my Crown Graphic and the Graphic View II. So, YES you certainly can use new lenses. Brand new if you have the cash!! Get them from B&H or others.

Lens boards come up all the time on ebay for the graphic view camera. There's one listed on there now, if I'm not mistaken. Don't worry about too small a hole, as you can always either do it yourself and enlarge the hole, or take it to a skilled machininst and it is no problem for them to 'bore' out the hole to fit your lens.

I think using anything past the 350mm lens is pusing it on the Graphic View cameras. You will be able to get infinity in focus, but your closer in stuff may run out of bellows draw. Also look for longer focal length "TRUE" telephoto lenses, as they have less bellows draw.
Vern

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Springback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new camera. I am a little confused here, since you already have the bi-post synch cords for lighting, are you asking "can I get new lenses to fit this" referring to a bi-post shutter? Or do you want to know if a new lens thats already mounted in a new shutter will fit your lensboard and cable? To mount a new lens in shutter all you need is a lensboard that fits the new shutter. If you already have the lensboard you can have the hole fited for your new lens/shutter, but a new shutter won't need the bi-post connection. If you want to fit a new lens to an old shutter check out S.K. Grimes website. Good Luck!
Mickey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Columbus Camera Group makes lensboards for about $20.

Just go to their website and click on "Notify me!" and tell them what you want.

http://columbuscameragroup.com

Or just give them a call 1-800-325-7664 or 1-(614) 267-0686.

The website isn't very up to date so I'd e-mail them about anything you are looking for. They are very nice people. I picked up a few things from them and normally they check the stuff out to make sure it's in working order before they send you out the door with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: