Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with a basic question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35mmto4x5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have found a Speed Graphic 4x5 (based upon the film holders' size) cleaning out an attic. It has a side-mounted rangefinder and there is no significant corrosion. I was hoping that I could clean it up and have my passport to a "larger format obession". Embarrassing, but it is not obvious to me how to open it.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question has come up here many times...
On the opposite side from the rangefinder where the leather handle is:
Just above the handle towards the front of the cameras, there should be a small bump in the leather covering. Push that bump in and the front should pop open. If you can't see a bump, you should be able to feel something there...
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some of those side rf models the bump to push is on the top, in line with the graflex label in the chrome rim on the front.
35mmto4x5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

Now that I have opened it, I believe that this is a pre-55 Pacemaker Speed Graphic (side mount Kalart and a focal plan shutter). It has an Ektar 127mm f4.7 lens in a Graphic Supermatic X shutter. Serial # 75xxxx.

The ground glass cleaned up very nicely and the lens and shutter appear in good shape. However, most of the cast aluminum pieces have a fair amount of oxidation. I have some work to do.

Questions! Is the eyepiece of the Focuscope supposed to rotate? If so, it is frozen. Suggestions as to how to unfreeze. Also, there is green material on many of the screws, especially holding the flash bracket and Kalart on. Did Graflex use a screw setting material, or is there copper hardware?

Thanks again. I haven't been this enthused for years. I'll keep you all posted on my discoveries.
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: the focuscope, if it is the collapsable model, the one that telescopes into itself, then Yes the outside portion [toward eyepiece, away from camera] will rotate. If it is the fixed model, then there's no rotation without you screwing it on or off the rangefinder.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass is the underlaying metal of many parts. I have not seen any threadlocker used on any the 3 or 4 cameras I have worked on. I suspect the green you see on screws to be corrision.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-12-01 22:11 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your question about the focuscope again, I saw a new issue which I didn't address. If you are assuming that you turn the eyepiece to accomplish the focusing, that is wrong - the focus of the focuscope is fixed [hope that makes sense]. Although the eyepiece end of one model turns, that provides no demonstratable function.

In real terms, the focuscope is just a magnifier of the image being produced by the rangefinder. You cannot change that magnification on the focuscope. Don't know if that was your question, but that's MY answer to My interpretation of YOUR question.
35mmto4x5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question derives from the eyepiece itself. When removed, there is the objective lens in its oversized carrier which in turn slides in a box channel. On one end of the carrier there is a brass pin that seats in a milled, eccentric - somewhat elliptical - groove in the eyepiece. My guess is that it is a contrivance to compensate for the parallax changes as the photographic subject becomes closer. The objective lens is most centered at infinity and rises in a slight counterclockwise arc (moves slightly to the right as it rises) as the eyepiece settings are changed for progressively closer subject viewing. The box channel piece appears as though it could/should rotate as the settings are changed, thereby allowing the lens to slide as pulled by the pin. ???
km

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading your last explaination I believe you are talking about the viewfinder and not the rangefinder. You are correct, it is a parallax adjustment.
Keith
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-02 15:12, 35mmto4x5 wrote:
My question derives from the eyepiece itself. When removed, there is the objective lens in its oversized carrier which in turn slides in a box channel. On one end of the carrier there is a brass pin that seats in a milled, eccentric - somewhat elliptical - groove in the eyepiece. My guess is that it is a contrivance to compensate for the parallax changes as the photographic subject becomes closer. The objective lens is most centered at infinity and rises in a slight counterclockwise arc (moves slightly to the right as it rises) as the eyepiece settings are changed for progressively closer subject viewing. The box channel piece appears as though it could/should rotate as the settings are changed, thereby allowing the lens to slide as pulled by the pin. ???
And this assembly sits on the top right (as viewed from behind) of the camera? If so it is the tubular viewfinder, and has nothing to do with the rangefinder.
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focuscope screws into the eyepiece of the Kalart Rangefinder on the side-rangefinder model of Graphic cameras.
35mmto4x5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the confusion. Does the eyepiece for the tubular viewfinder rotate (I seem to have rediscovered square one)?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-02 19:50, 35mmto4x5 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the confusion. Does the eyepiece for the tubular viewfinder rotate (I seem to have rediscovered square one)?
Yes, it rotates for parallax compensation. About the confusion, it comes with the territory. Graflex-speak and the common language don't have that much in common, the terminology used by Graflex confuses everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: