Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP WITH SPEED GRAPHIC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moristano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a WwII 4x5 Speed Graphic and took some test shots with it. On almost every one, there is a ghost of the upper right hand corner image toward the center of the negative. If you have any experience with this, let me know by e-mail at mark@stagepix.biz and I'll send you a copy of one of the pictures for your estimation. Other than this, the camera is in great shape and takes beautiful pics. But I do need help!

[ This Message was edited by: moristano on 2002-11-22 17:01 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read and follow flashlight test insdtructions in the adjoining post Light Leak? Pacemaker ...; Yours is an anniversary but the light leak test is the same. Is there just an empty hole where a screw should go in the back mounting? Was the cause in an earlier post.
Charles

moristano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be a light leak if it makes such an accurate ghost image of the subject? Wouldn't it almost have to be something coming through the lens?
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the term "pinhole camera" come to mind?
moristano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you didn't say "pinhead" camera!
I did a flashlight test and couldn't see any leaks from around the film holder. I guess checking the lens board might be a good idea.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I had a friend who got really freaked out when he shot with an old Master view. He couldn't figure out how he was getting multiple images, that weren't exactly the same, some were hotter, some dim, some dissappeared altogether.

I finally figured out there was a pin hole near the front of the camera and the exposure change was the time lage etween pulling the darkslide and tripping the shutter (the pin hole had a longer time) he also did a front rise at some point and that greatly effected the double image.

Which miltary camera did you get? what does the tag say?

rsdean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a case like this described in Ansel Adams' The Camera, which he said he finally traced to an unfilled screwhole. (Presumably with the screw in it, otherwise it would have been a lot more obvious...)

Rob Dean

moristano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the light leak. It's at 9 o'clock as you look at the lens, right on the side where the lens screws into the board. I'm going to try to tighten up the connection and maybe add a bit of black tape to see if I can seal it all together. At least it's not the bellows!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat black paint and black silicone rubber work well for patching small holes and cracks and sealing lens threads.
Charles

moristano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. The leak is actually at the place in the lens board where the little post on the lens fits through to keep it from twisting. On another Speed Graphic I have, this hole is covered by a small metal point. But in this WWII camera, there is no cover. For now, I've put some electrical tape over the hole and taken a couple of test shots to see how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: