Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telephoto lenes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Springback

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I can across a Dallmeyer Adon telephoto on an Anny board. Does anyone here know anything about this lens? It opens up to f2! I am curious about how it would work for nocturnal photography. Thanks!
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple lens--positive doublet in front, negative dubliet in back.

He's mistaken about he aperture. He states the numbers run 2-4-8 well f stops run 2, 2.8 , 4, 5.6

the lens is set in US stops not f stops. US 16 and f16 are the same sooo.

US 2 4 8 16

f 5.6 8 11 16

Now Rudolf Kingslake states in "handbook of photography that this lens is an f10 and is a variable focus from 12 to 44" Which sounds like a lot, but if you consider a 150mm lens normal on 4x5 then the equivelent lens on a 35mm camera would be 100-275mm. And I'll bet even a Nikon f5 in full winder mode,is quieter than the focal plane of an Anny.

JoePhoto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of these front mounted to a Copal # 1 shutter but the iris markings started with 1 and then went 2,4 etc as Les said. No focal lengths listed, though, it was variable.

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 21:56, Les wrote:
It's a simple lens--positive doublet in front, negative dubliet in back.

He's mistaken about he aperture. He states the numbers run 2-4-8 well f stops run 2, 2.8 , 4, 5.6

the lens is set in US stops not f stops. US 16 and f16 are the same sooo.

US 2 4 8 16

f 5.6 8 11 16

Now Rudolf Kingslake states in "handbook of photography that this lens is an f10 and is a variable focus from 12 to 44" Which sounds like a lot, but if you consider a 150mm lens normal on 4x5 then the equivelent lens on a 35mm camera would be 100-275mm. And I'll bet even a Nikon f5 in full winder mode,is quieter than the focal plane of an Anny.

Dallmeyer lens names are pretty confusing. Per the Lens Collectors' Vade Mecum, the original Adon was a clip on front lens introduced in 1891. The f/4.5 Adon, focal lengths 6 - 24 inches was introduced in 1912. In 1914 the f/4.5 was renamed New Large Adon. AThere was also an Adjustable Adon, with variable spacing between the front and rear groups, launched in 1893. The NL Adon was made well after WWII. And if this news confuses you, you're not alone.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: