Forum Index
Get help with your Graflex questions here
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roll Film Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Film Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 26 Oct 2002
Posts: 1
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a Century Graphic 2x3. At present it has a standard sheet film, spring loaded back for 2x3 fidelity sheet holders. I want to put on (permanantly) a roll film back. Question: which model do I need and where can I buy it?? The image size of the back is 2-5/16 x 3-1/8. The camera has what I think is a Graflok back with two chrome slides either side which I take is to hold the roll film back in position. Question two: Can I remove the spring-loaded sheet back when I find my roll film back?? I would prefer to work with rangefinder only and not the fresnel screen. Please help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 2682
Location: Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one of the very few 'absolutes' I found with Graflex. ahem,

"All Century cameras came with a Graflok back" and I'll even go out on a limb to say, "It's damn difficult to change it to anything else even if you wanted to."

That said, here is what will fit you camera simply by pushing down and out on the thin chrome arms of the ground glass assembly to remove it. It won't be permanent--just slide the slide locks and the back will come off.

Any knob wind GRAPHIC 22 or GRAPHIC 23. There are GRAFLEX 22 and GRAFLEX 23 holders out there and they say exactly that on the back. You want the ones that say Graphic on the back.

Any lever wind back, save for the RH-70, so the RH-8 RH-10 and RH-20 will fit. Okay let me amend that. Any RH back designed for 2x3 cameras will fit. (There is almost always an exception to every rule when it comes to Graflex)

These are prefered because they have tiny rollers at the edge of the film gate to keep the film flat. The 10 and 20 will give a 6x7cm image and really is the most efficient for your film, the RH-8 will give a (nominal) 2 .25 x 3.25 but if you are machine printing at commercial lab, they will crop the image to 2.25x2.75 or back to 6x7. The RH-20 will take 220 film, the RH10 is 120.
You can mix and match the inserts between the 10 and 20, but not between the 8 and anything else.

Outside of Graflex, a back from the original RB-67 will work on MOST graphics. In theory they should fit all graphics but I've found certain Maymia back will fit this camera but not quite allow the slide to lock on that camera. A different back and a different camera will get a different result. The Pro and the Pro-S back will work too but you will be paying for A. less use, since they are newer, and B. a darkslide interlock that's useless on a Speed.
Now if you are willing to pay the price, I've heared that Linhof and Horsemann backs will work too, but these will be more than what you paid for the camera. And for the absurd. Leaf and most other digital backs will fit too.

"In order to invent, you need a good imagination and a lot of junk" Thomas Edison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group