Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Graflex flash, some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Speed Graphic vintage 1957. I just located the flash that was originally used with this camera. It is the 3 cell type. Some parts of the shutter release mechanism on the camera are missing, but it looks like it never had a solenoid release. Can I use this flash without a solenoid? There are 2 bi-pole sockets on the camera, one on the body, and one on the lens. Also what type of bulbs should I be looking for? Thanks, Mark
Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that depend on what parts are missing!

If the shutter is complete in that you can cock and fire the shutter they you're all set. You'll need to buy a "Household to ASA bi-post" cord from paramount. (www.paramountcords.com I think)

What bulbs you will use depends on the reflector. If the reflector is 7" dia and has a large hole at the bottom , then you'll need to buy edison based bulbs. The Press 40s are the most common and they will set you back about $2.00 each on ebay.

if you have a 5" reflector where the socket is horizontal then you can use the bayonet sized bulbs. #5, 25s are common as are the Blue series (5B 25B) for color film. These run about $4-6 a dozen on ebay last I checked. Now if you can find a bayonet to M-3 adapter on ebay, then you can use the smallest based bulbs made. These still pack a lot of light but the base is about the size of a pencil eraser. These are even cheaper.

Keep the batteries fresh and the contacts clean.

Look around this site or do a search for flash bulbs to find out more info.
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check/test

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Neubert on 2002-10-13 18:08 ]
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reflector is a 5". Thanks for the bulb info. The missing part(s) is a screw or post that attaches to the shutter trip arm on the lens. It was actuated by a vertical plate moved by the shutter release on the body. The camera never had a solenoid. Does the solenoid trip the shutter when the flash button is pushed? Should I look for a solenoid to install? Would that be a benefit? Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be back soon with sync questions! Mark Neubert
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Mark, I'll give it a try.

You DON'T need a solenoid to operate the flash on your camera. It has a shutter. That shutter has a sync connection [those two posts].

You need a cord that connects with that connection. It's called a bi-pole to household cord. Since you indicated your body shutter release doesn't work, there's a shutter release on the shutter itself. To take a flash pic, hook the cord from the shutter to the flash battery case [look for outlet marked shutter]. Set the flash sync lever to M. When you trip the shutter, your flashbulb should fire, if your batteries are fresh.

For the 5" reflector, look for #5 or #25 flash bulbs.

The solenoid was simply an electric shutter release. Set properly, it would also sync with a flash bulb. But, it's NOT required! The flash button on the battery case would actuate the solenoid, if attached. [it is also used to fire the flash itself, for open flash purposes]. But it's not the ONLY way to use the flash. Unless you just want to use an electric release, forget the solenoid. They aren't easy to sync, so you should plan on using the cord to optain flash synchronization.

Find a Graflite flash manual to learn the proper flash settings for your battery case.

Hope that helps.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-10-13 20:21 ]
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast response. I didn't think that I HAD to have a solenoid, I just wanted to know why they had them, and if I would gain anything by installing one. It seems that the camera would be faster to fire by using an electric release. I'll look for bulbs on ebay, and see how I make out. I'm relativly new to the Graflex, so some of my questions may seem a bit "basic". I'm glad that there are knowledgable users on this site who are willing to help. Thanks, Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: