Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with a Pacemaker Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently acquired a 4x5 Pacemaker and it seems to be in decent shape but I have a few questions.

1. How do I tell how old it is? I noticed that some of you know how to find this information. Serial number is 887063.

2. A flash unit was included with the camera but I can't seem to connect it. The location where I think it should plug in
http://www.pbase.com/image/5488058
(See red circle number 1) and the cord coming from the flash both seem to be the same gender of connecter. Do I need an adapter? The flashgun is a Kalart.
http://www.pbase.com/image/5487998

3. What is this?
http://www.pbase.com/image/5488058
(See red circle number 2)

4. Is something missing from the front shutter?
http://www.pbase.com/image/5487999

5. Where is a good place in the US to pick up film holders and how much should I expect to pay for them? I noticed that Bender sells Fidelity Elite for $25 and it holds 2 pieces of film. Is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere?

6. The lens also included a 38mm Kodak Adapter ring on the front. Since it's threaded does this mean I could use normal 38mm lens filters or step-up rings?

You can see all of the pictures of it here:
http://upload.pbase.com/mickeynbk/speed_graphic&edit=Y

The back appears to be a Graphic back, side mounted range finger is a Kalart. The camera appears to have been worked on a few times and at least one piece appears to be painted (you can see the number 33 has been painted over).

Also are there any decals or can someone send me a picture of what the shutter selector text should look like?

Does anyone carry a reproduction (preferably a free download but I'll take what I can get) of the instruction manual for this year Pacemaker? I've seen newer ones available but I want the correct one.

One last thing, I was looking at some used 4x5 film holders and the seller thought they were Curtis film holders (not sure if this is a brand name or the type of camera) but they had glass filters in them. Some had a red piece and the others were labeled "Dialux Filter". Does anyone know what these are for? Would this work like a lens filter?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have tha serial # reference but its pre "55. The red circle #1 is the flash sync contacts called a bi-post for the focal plane shutter only. It works with FP flash bulbs only. The lens shutter should have a set of bi-post contacts also that work with regular flash bulbs (M) setting or strobes (X) setting if the shutter was designed to be selectable. Both body and lens contacts require female plugs to fit them. Paramount Cords makes bi-post M/F cords and bi-post to PC cords.
Next look at the window by the FPS (Focal Plane Shutter) wind key while moving lever #2 back and forth. Turn key (it only turns one way) until number(s) show. Fliping the lever selects or delselcts the govenor to give different speeds, two per wind setting. The small thin slide switch just behind the rangefinder selects the front(lens) or rear shutter and will fire the rear shutter only. You have to press in the slide to move it. The body lever just in front of the lower edge of the rangefinder is the body release. with rear slide switch is rear setting it will trip the FPS; with the rear slide switch in front position it would trip the lens shutter If the cable and trip lever had not been removed!
The selonid is used to sync the shutter to the flash bulb. Use the site search for flash sync or selonid as many post explaining these exists.
You hit a home run on the filter ring speculations, its a slip on adapter and standard filters and rings fit just fine.
Fedelity are good film holders. Check B&H, you may find a better buy, as most camera stores sell them in a two pack for $45 or there about.

While a picture may be worth a thousand words, a quality photograph is worth a million.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-10-04 21:24 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the cord you have will fit the solenoid. look at the bottom of the solenoid and y ou'll find two small holes.

Check to see if you have an "open flash" button on the flash itself. If you do you're all set. If you don't you'll need a Household to bi-post cord from paramount.

Used Riteway film holders are running about $10 each on ebay, others will dissagree, but I found the wood holders with the metal light trap to work fine for $3-8 each. Stay away from any holder that is natural finish, and make sure they tell you it's a film holder and not a glass plate holder, (which I think is what you might have found) and make sure they will take it back if they are wrong.

As for the holders with filters in them, I can only guess that they went to what was called a 'color camera' These were cameras that did color seperations at the time of exposure. Three sheets of film in one click! Each holder had either a Red Green or blue filter, plus a neutral density filter on the blue and Green to keep it in line with the Red. By the time they were finished, you asa 100 speed film was down to about 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: