Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunpak 544 with Crown Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone: This is my first post.
I have a 1967 4 x 5 Crown and am considering attaching a Sunpak 544 Electronic Flash with PC sync to the 150 Xenar. Suggestions or advice is sought. I am concerned about shadows as the Sunpak will sit a few inches higher but off to the left side of the lens. As anyone ever used this particular flash or other Modern Electronic flashes with their Graphic?
Regards to All.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with this good old vintage equipment that places the flash on a bracket either to the the left or right of the lens, you'll have shadows if the background is close enough to show one. Whether it be a modern or not-so-modern electronic flash, the result is the same. Some people install a shoe on the camera just above the lens to accomodate the flash...or, you can use bounce flash off the ceiling to eliminate the harsh shadows and get a softer look. Fred,
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred's right as usual. Be it a Sunpack, Metz, Norman or a Graflite with a Press 25 flash bulb, if you point the flash at the subject you'll get shadows.

Now the old flash bulb with the highly polished reflector gave a very contrasty, specular light, which have the appearance of the image being sharper (the analog version of the sharpening button in Photoshop)

The other flash units, not being quite so specular (or spectacularly bright as the press 25) give a slightly softer tone to the shadows, but they will be visible, say shadow of the nose on the cheek.

You can try bouncing the flash off the ceiling, gettng one of those plastic bounce reflectors or put some sort of light diffusion screen in front the flash.

Now you've got nice, soft light, just not a whole lot of it. You can easily lose 1 to 2 stops with bounce cards and diffusion. Now the guide number that was a respectable 220 is at 160 or even 110.

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how well or creatively you use the 544.
I use a Metz 45-CT5 (on occasion) and I like it full bracket length from the body(side RF Speed or Super Speed), and it's height; judging the bounce angle with the tilt head requires a little pratice, and when you get it right, the results are YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-07-18 18:57 ]
Barney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I fixed the shadow problem. I purchased a Stroboframe Pro-SQ. A Metal bracket that puts the Sunpak 544 right above the lens. It also is adustable up and down for quite a bit. Bye Bye shadows. It will also be used on two other cameras of Meduim Format. The Guide number on the Sunpak 544 is 138 at ASA 100. I gave $209.00 new for the 544. It has Auto and Manual with rotating and tilting head. Came with a diffuser also.
Best regards to all: Barney
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: