Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Covering bellows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saziebrown@home.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thrashed speed graphic with bellows that are holed and split, can't be taped up easily. Not knowing how to remove bellows for replacement, I was wondering if I could "get away" with wrapping lightproof cloth (changing bag fabric?) around the bellows and taping it up to either end, both of which are more intact. I hear that replacement is very difficult, but this looks easy if it'll work. Anyone tried it?
Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN the old days a well known fix for bellows with pin holes was to take some relatively dense fabric and make a tube with elastic on either end.

This was fitted so that the elastic fell into one of the pleats near each end of the bellows.

In effect it's a sock for your camera. I'm not sure how well it would work when you have gaping holes or obvious slits, but it's worth some thought.
tbottegal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, what is 'changing bag fabric' - i.e., if I go to a fabric store, what do I ask them for? Or where else would I get bulk lightproof fabric?

jdman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not say what size the camera is but changing the bellows on a 6x9 is pretty easy. Involves taking 4 screws out of the front standard and bending up the metal tabs on the rear. Finding one at a reasonable price is another story. I would expect at least a C-note or more. You do have to remove the back but that is easy, just takes a screwdriver and a couple on minutes. Russ
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing bag fabric is the stuff that changing bags are made from. Go to your local well-equipped photo store and ask to see changing bags. The fabric is a tight-weave, black, rubber-lined, light-tight cloth. But with all due respect to other responses, if you're going to use your Graphic with any regularity I would think that a replacement bellows might be in order. Check the ads in the back pages of Shutterbug magazine; there are usually at least two suppliers who claim they can fit bellows to any camera. I've also heard that artist's black acrylic paint (the kind that comes in tubes) can be used to plug small holes in bellows. I believe one brand is called Liquitex. You might also try a tube of windshield sealant from the auto supply store; it's black and should retain its flexibility. Naturally, paint or acrylic sealant should be applied to the inside of the bellows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: