Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schneider-Kreuznach f2.0 Xenon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just acquired a Kodak Retina IIa with this lens. All looks wonderful externally, but there a smidgeon of crud between the lens elements. My question is this: are the elements in the groups glued or air-gapped...and is it possible to seperate them for cleaning? Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-29 04:12, clnfrd wrote:
I just acquired a Kodak Retina IIa with this lens. All looks wonderful externally, but there a smidgeon of crud between the lens elements. My question is this: are the elements in the groups glued or air-gapped...and is it possible to seperate them for cleaning? Fred.
Cemented or air spaced? Yes.

The Xenon is more or less symmetrical and has 6 glasses in four groups. The outermost glass at each end stands alone, the inner pair are cemented.

The cells unscrew from the shutter. I've always had trouble removing my Retinas' rear cells. Take the front cells off to see if the crud is inside it or on its inner surface. Then open the shutter to inspect and, if necessary clean, the rear cell's inner surface.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. I've cleaned the outer surfaces of both the front and rear cells. What I see in the front cells looks typical, resembling what you see when a dual-glass patio door springs a leak...contamination mostly around the outer edges inside. In the rear cells, it appears there are many small, light-colored "dots" inside. Hopefully, the crud is cleanable if I can remove those outermost stand-alone elements. I'll give it a go...and Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-06-29 12:19 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to unscrew the front cells from the shutter easily....remove the two small set screws on the rear of this..unsrew this part.. exposing the free standing front element...and the crud is within the elements that appear to be press-fitted into that rear piece I unscrewed. The rear group behind the shutter has a slotted retaining ring on the rear...and applying all the pressure I care to with two small screw-drivers (need a special spanner wrench)...I can't budge the retainer. So, I haven't done much good at this point. Think I'll shoot a roll of film and see if I get any serious flare. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-06-29 14:40 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: The rear lens cell will screw out of the rear of the shutter! I mickey-moused a spanner with some small scissors and unscrewed the whole group from inside the camera. I couldn't get the slotted retaining ring off the rear of of the cell to clean between the air-gapped elements. I put the cell in my food freezer for about an hour to cause everything to contract...then I was able to unscrew the little ring...clean the crud inside with alcohol...re-assemble...and voila!...much cleaner and now perfectly usable> Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: