Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JACKIE BOUVIER KENNEDY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What must be the most famous picture of all time,well to us GRAPHIC collectors,is the picture of her holding her 5x4 SPEED GRAPHIC during the day's when she worked as a roving press photographer...
Have you noticed this picture anyone-I stumbled on it by accident...the camera has got a flash attached as well.
A lovely picture from history..one the great lady,the other,the great camera in pristine condition.
A classic photograph...can anyone place a date?
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graflex Sid,

Couldn't locate the photo of her holding the camera (which i too have seen somewhere), but I was able to find a picture of her camera which she used as a PJ for the Washington Times-Herald starting in 1951.....

http://www.jfklibrary.org/images/camera.jpg

This pre-anniversary certainly was getting along in years by the time Jackie picked it up in '51. She met JFK in 1953 while working for the above paper, so this seems to narrow down the date that she was using it.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-05-16 12:23 ]
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,The BBC here are using this picture on their site(5-16-03)-postage stamp size-but it's a Pacemaker S.G.5x4 with mounted flash.
So Im wondering if anyone has noticed this appearing larger on an internet site.
I've trawled around but had no luck,it must be somewhere out there!Great Shot,even though it's posed...sales of Graphics must have shot up when this appeared at the time.
Especially for Women users!..if Jackie can use it,so can we...I wonder if it did give that impression.
It's still a powerful picture even to this day...
larrys

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how about... http://www.jfkin61.com/graphics/jackie8.jpg
-ls-

[ This Message was edited by: larrys on 2003-05-17 19:36 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Larry...I think if you leave a full space after the periods, before the http, we'll be able to click on it to go to it. Fred.
larrys

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-17 16:58, clnfrd wrote:
Hi, Larry...I think if you leave a full space after the periods, before the http, we'll be able to click on it to go to it. Fred.

I think you're right! And I fixed it.
thanx,
-ls-
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Gentlemen...yes,that's the picture in question...the company must have been very pleased when that appeared in the press all those years ago...actually,it's still striking even today as a picture of a very famous lady with a very awesome camera...
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the picture I had seen previously but couldn't think of where I had seen it. I was also a little mystified that a leading paper such as the Washington Times Herald would have been sending Jackie out using the pre-anniversary which I linked to earlier, which the Kennedy Library has in its archives. I am sure the pre-anny was probably one of many cameras she used. On a related note, within the past few months I saw a TV movie called (I think) "A Woman Named Jackie" with Roma Downey as Jackie. There were several scenes of her chasing folks down on the streets of Georgetown and Washington, carrying a Speed Graphic around by the flash handle.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Sobahguy...Of course,the Pacemaker makes a better picture than the black fronted Anny!..Yes,your movie,the mini series "A Woman named Jackie" with Roma Downey as Jackie (remembering that the real Jackie was alive in 1991 when the series was made),also starred our own,Joss Ackland as Onassis...actually available on video in the States.
Not shown here in Britain,unfortunately...A pity,when it comes to history we have just caught up with the death of Elizabeth I and the first World War,on television.
Advanced channels have been talking about the war in the pacific-so we are getting there!...but Im surprised nobody has done a documentary on the history of the Graflex Co.
...or have they.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: