Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

film holder questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadeddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I inherited my grandfathers Century Graphic Graflex with a Graphic 23 roll back + many accessories. I have just started researching the possibility of adding more roll holders so I can shoot multiple rolls and discovered this site. Under the accessories portion I see that there are several models of Polaroid backs listed - does anyone have any experience with these on a Century Graphic?

I also saw that the Mamiya RB67 film backs should fit on the Graflok back. Does anyone have any experience with a newer film back on a Graflex? I don't want to purchase someting over eBay and find out it doesn't quite work. Thanks so much!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 15:20, jadeddo wrote:
Hi - I inherited my grandfathers Century Graphic Graflex with a Graphic 23 roll back + many accessories. I have just started researching the possibility of adding more roll holders so I can shoot multiple rolls and discovered this site. Under the accessories portion I see that there are several models of Polaroid backs listed - does anyone have any experience with these on a Century Graphic?

I also saw that the Mamiya RB67 film backs should fit on the Graflok back. Does anyone have any experience with a newer film back on a Graflex? I don't want to purchase someting over eBay and find out it doesn't quite work. Thanks so much!
Ain't no polaroid backs for 2x3 Graphics.

Early RB67 backs are supposed to go right on, later ones (RB67 ProS and RZ67) have interlocks and are supposed not to work.

That said, I don't see the problem. You can always reload the roll holder. Pop the exposed roll out, tuck the end of the backing paper under itself, lick the gummed strip, seal. And then reload.

Practice a little, including loading with scrap 120 film, before you start spending.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add more roll film holders if you don't want to re-load in the field. The Graphic 23 or RH8 will work just fine. Modern-day accoutrements don't work, as Dan alluded to. Fred.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan said: "Ain't no polaroid backs for 2x3 Graphics."

Not true! I know of at least two.

First of all, a company named Lane made a Polaroid back for the Century. For some reason, it wasn't very popular. Not many around. I've seen a couple on ebay.

But, the Horseman 23 Polaroid back will work fine on the Century also. And, they ARE available. Works with the Graflok back too.

As with the Lane, the focus point at the film plane was about 15mm south of the normal filmholder, so you must either make a spacer or mark your rail for a modified point to lock down the lens standard.

So, there. You learned something new today!
jadeddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's not so much an issue with changing rolls in the field - I worked in a studio with 'blads for a long time and know the ins and outs of loading 120 roll backs. I wanted to be able to swap backs so I could run different films at the same time (Velvia and B&W for example) To swap mid-roll I need another whole back.

The polaroid question came about because of the information I found on this site - it looked like maybe the old Polaroid 545's would fit on the Graflok back. Looking at the ones on eBay they seem to be about the same size as the sheet film holders I have for the Graflex.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember there are two sizes of Graflok backs, one for 2x3 and ones for 4x5. The 545 series holder fits the 4x5, so it will miss fitting the 2x3 by a couple of inches.

I've tried the Graphic 22 and 23 backs, then I moved up to the RH series backs, now I''ve moved up to the Mamiya backs. I can't account for it, but the first time I made the statement "I've heard you can put an RB 67 back on a 2x3 Graphic" was in a camera store. We tried it and for what ever reason THAT camera and THAT back wouldn't fit. The back was a shade taller than the spot in the camera for it.

I've since bought two backs, one on ebay, one at a show. Both work on my 2x3 pace speed and my mini speed with Graflok without a problem.

Now I just have to keep an eye out for Lane Polaroid backs!
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Horseman 23 Polaroid back will work on my 2X3 Century and Pacemaker Crown? Well, I'll be diddle-de-dadburn! I did learn something today. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-04-11 19:36 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 18:53, alecj wrote:
Dan said: "Ain't no polaroid backs for 2x3 Graphics."

Not true! I know of at least two.

First of all, a company named Lane made a Polaroid back for the Century. For some reason, it wasn't very popular. Not many around. I've seen a couple on ebay.

But, the Horseman 23 Polaroid back will work fine on the Century also. And, they ARE available. Works with the Graflok back too.

As with the Lane, the focus point at the film plane was about 15mm south of the normal filmholder, so you must either make a spacer or mark your rail for a modified point to lock down the lens standard.

So, there. You learned something new today!
Thanks for the correction, Alec. Didn't know about the Horseman back, now I do.

Cheers,

Dan
jadeddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Mamiya film backs fit the 2x3, would the Mamiya polaroid film backs also fit?

I'm having a hard time finding anything about the horseman 23 polaroid back & the lane polaroid back - is there more detailed information I should know to search on them?

Thanks to you all for all your great insight!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search on ebay for "polaroid horseman" then clicked "completed" There were two, one sold for $250

alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say I have this great Graflex knowledge, but, in fact, this little tidbit came as a result of my having made the same statement Dan did, over on the old Helpboard, and then being quickly corrected.

Don't forget about that resource.

http://graflex.org/old-helpboard/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: