Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tripod carrying a LF camera???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got finished watching again the PBS dicumentary on Ansel Adams. With no other comments, it brought to mind two questions...

First: Did Ansel ever use the same camera twice? Through this documentary, he muct have been shown with at least a dozen different cameras... (okay, more of a 'comment' than a question)

Second: It reminded me of an old question that I never did get around to asking anyone. One of the scenes showed him carrying a large 8x10 (at least) camera, mounted on a tripo. Tripod slung over his back. I used to do this with 35mm cameras. But after moving to 4x5, I didn't think that poor little 1/4-20 screw could hold the weight if this was done. And that weighs easily half of an 8x10. My 8x10 gives me the impression that if I picked it up by the tripod and slung it over my shoulder, I'd be looking for a new camera pretty quick. Has anyoen done this in real life? What are your feeling (or experience) with that little 1/4-20 and camera mounts?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. I'd never do it with a Deardorf from RIT or one that was equally worn. The aluminum plate has a tendancy for the thread to wear out, or strip out. I've seen many, including mine.

I solved the problem by using an extra long screw-3/4" long and that bolts a QR plate on.

On the other hand if I had a Kodak 8x10 2D with a good brass socket and a longer than normal stud, I wouldn't think twice about it.

With a normal 1/4" long stud I would think twice and then not do it. It's not the diameter, it's the lenght.

I could have phrased that better, but its late.

RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's not the diameter, it's the length"?
There's a quote that may stick!

I guess my problem is that I've broken more 1/4-20's than I could count just by over-tightening them. I keep thinking of 15 pounds hanging from that 1/4 bolt and it snapping. I know the stress is completely different when the bolt is used to hold two plates together though. On the other hand, there's the metal 'nut' stuck into the camera's wood plate. how strong is that?
But I've seen many pictures of photographers carrying their cameras that way. And it would be very convenient to do when moving short distances where it's less convenient to break everything down.
Okay, just thought of it. I'm going to make a 15 pound wood box about the same dimensions as my 8x10. Screw it to my tripod, or maybe a mock tripod. I would hate to lose that screw... Then give it a good test to see what breaks. And I won't know until I break it, and that's something I'm pretty good at!
I will be very surprised to see it all hold together though... Luckily, the two tripods I usually use have fairly long bolts...

Thanks!
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolts come in different hardness/temper ratings. Something about the number and pattern of little marks on the bolt head. Also, 1/4-20 is available in stainless, etc. Modify with hacksaw and file for photographic applications. Source: parts drawers of hardware or automotive store.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're right. The 'standard' bolt would normally be a grade two. Very soft, and the ones I usually break. I think grade 8's are available locally which are much harder and used more for heavy equipment (get them in my local tractor store). That only counts if I want to go through the work of replacing the bolts in the tripod heads. I've made a couple of these in the past, but didn't worry about strength as I'm too afraid to carry the cameras that way. But making up a grade 8 bolt for the LF cameras may be an option, and a bit of work... I'll still have to do some testing though. I just don't trust the 'nut' in the wood base, or the bolt for that matter. 15 pounds swung over the shoulder and bounced would be quite a bit of force on that little bolt...

Thanks...
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 20:36 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: