Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an odd '22' roll film back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooch2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a '23' roll film back and wanted to get a '22' to shoot 6x6 from time to time.

I purchased one off the Bay and while the unit is very clean, has the pin rollers, very little wear and tear I was surprised when I flipped it over.

The opening wasn't the 6x6 square I was expecting but the same rectangular dimention of my '23' back. And the film counter only goes up to 8 instead of 12. At first I thought the previous owner had just replaced the 'back cover' with one that had '22' printed on it but from what I can tell the back cover doesn't come off with screws or is disassempled easily.

Fasle advertising from my seller? or did they make '22' roll film holders with 6x7 openings?

From the accesories page on this site I highly doubt it. If the holder has a '22' printed on it it should capture 6x6 ... right?

Thanks for wading through my long winded post.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inserts are interchangable with other shells. I recently sold a RH10 with a RH20 insert. A lot of dealers on the BAY don't know anything about what they sell, so its not suprising to find a 6x6 insert in a 6x7 shell.

worldphoto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only use for the mismatched unit is to store an extra 2x3 loaded insert for your old back. It would speed up changing film rolls. I use two 2x2 units and two 2x3 units for that very reason.
Harry
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. If I read him correctly, he's got a shell marked 22 that has a rectangular opening. Apparently, the insert does correspond with the film opening in the shell, but that still doesn't answer the question - how did that shell get marked that way. I don't know of a way other than a replacement of the shell back.

Check the opening again. If it is the same as your 23 back, then that insert is correct. You mentioned 6x7, but if the insert goes only to 8, then its a 6x9.

It sounds like that back is fully usable as a 23 back. Since it was sold as a 22, I'd return it.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-03-21 04:38 ]
worldphoto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Alec, then his whole back is interchangeable with his existing unit. The 8 counter made it definitely a 23 insert.

Take a look at the "22" Graphic on the Bay Item #2918444931. I've found that the dirty ones are cheaper, but clean up well.

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-03-21 08:44 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "22 Graphic" knob wind holders.

with the dark slide in these will look like 2x3 (or 6x9) holders when looking at the aperture. It' s only when you remove the darkslide do you see the 6x6 mask. That said I would think the mask is stil part of the 'wrap around' fixture, just on the inside of the darkslide. If it's got pin rollers at the outside edges of the 6x9 aperture and a "22 Graphic" on the back, then somthin's weerd.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a 22 and a 23 Graphic 120 Roll Holder...and to reaffirm what Les said...they both look like 2X3's if you just look at the opening for the dark slide. BUT...pull the dark slide.,..and Presto!...the correct size is masked below the dark slide....2X3 for the 23 and 2X2 for the 22. If the counter only goes to 8, the insert is from a 23. Possibly the 2X2 mask was removed to convert it to a 23?? Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-03-21 14:33 ]
gooch2000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys.

I'm under the impression that I have a "22" shell with a "23" roll insert (counter only goes to with the "22" mask removed. (opening, with darkslide removed, is rectangular and identical to my "23" back)

I guess it was just put together with a bunch of spare parts (from a 23 AND a 22 back)

Patrick
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-22 09:29, gooch2000 wrote:
Thanks for all the replys.

I'm under the impression that I have a "22" shell with a "23" roll insert (counter only goes to with the "22" mask removed. (opening, with darkslide removed, is rectangular and identical to my "23" back)

I guess it was just put together with a bunch of spare parts (from a 23 AND a 22 back)

Patrick
Sorry to get to this so late, I've been away. Some years ago I bought a Graflex/SubSea RH-8 that was represented as new and unused. @!#$@$ thing had a 6x9 shell all right, and the film carrier's film counter went to 8, not 10, but it was geared for 6x7. Armato's made it right for me, for a price. Arrgh! One has to look at incremental cost, not total, even though at times its hard.

SubSea bought the rights and tooling for roll holders when Graflex folded (Toyo bought the Super Graphic tooling, the one Toyo Graphic I've seen was very well made) and folded no long after. I believe mine was assembled just before the final collapse from whatever parts were on hand.

Is yours a Graflex, a Singer, or a Graflex/SubSea?

Cheers,

Dan
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just went out to shop, and removed a 22 door in less than 10 seconds. Just pull the hinge pin. I suspect the 23 door was defective, was replaced with a 22 door. Or did I miss something in this thread? Russ
wilkidm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a RH12 with a Graphic "22" back on it and a rapid vance insert. To confuse things even more it has the pin rollers for film flatness. I guess there is a variation for everything!
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the newsgroups, Ed Romney, who published a number of camera repair books, has a RH-12 insert he wants to trade for an RH-8. You two ought to get together.

ed@edromney.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: