Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ID of Flash Gear Update:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through my box of Graflex gear and I couldn't fully understand what the following was used for and/or who was the manufacturer?
(1) I have two 7" reflectors that are a light gray color on the back side and one 5" reflecter also light gray. (They are Graflex)
Another 5" reflecter with a bright back. The one written word is "Normal" on the tube. Who made them? (answer Graflex)
(2) I have two Graflite flash tubes 3-1/8" long with a 1/4"-20 solid base and a top to hold a household lamp size. They each have four household female plugs, two Extension N plugs and two Extension BC plugs on each tube. One is marked on its' base "Graflex Extension Flash unit" Catalog No. 2776 and the other base is marked Graflex Inc. General Precision. How can these be used? (The Ext. BC plugs add more flashbulbs to the main tube with B-C cartridge. The Ext. N is the end unit from the B-C Cartridge tube. Up to 6 flashbulbs can be fired.)
Harry
The reflectors, of course, fit my Graflite and HR 3-battery tubes. My Heiland reflectors are marked HR. A better question is: Are these Graflite Reflecters? (Yes!)

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-09 12:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-09 12:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-28 22:30 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2003-02-09 11:54, worldphoto wrote:
I was going through my box of Graflex gear and I couldn't fully understand what the following was used for and/or who was the manufacturer?
(1) I have two 7" reflecters that are a light gray color on the back side and one 5" reflecter also light gray.
Another 5" reflecter with a bright back. The one written word is "Normal" on the tube. Who made them?

>>> The ones with grey backs sound like Graflite reflectors to me. On the 5" with "Normal", that's there to set the reflector to normal coverage, as compared to pulling them out slightly for wide angle use. Do you have the right-angle fixtures for the 5" ones to attach to the battery cases? The 7" one should have it built in, unless somebody removed it.

(2) I have two Graflite flash tubes 3-1/8" long with a 1/4"-20 solid base and a top to hold a household lamp size. They each have four household female plugs, two Extension N plugs and two Extension BC plugs on each tube. One is marked on its' base "Graflex Extension Flash unit" Catalog No. 2776 and the other base is marked Graflex Inc. General Precision. How can these be used?

>>> These cute little things were widely used back in earlier times in order to provide for multiple flash. Graflex provided a clamp to screw into the bottom, and you're 5" reflectors would mount on these stubby posts - also the 7" I suppose. A long extension cord went from the main battery case to this post.
Harry
The reflecters, of course, fit my Graflite and HR 3-battery tubes. My Heiland reflecters are marked HR. A better question is: Are these Graflite Reflecters?

>>> Do they have a slot in the back to mount onto the right-angle fixture (called the Head Assembly) of the Graflite flash?

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-02-09 12:50 ]
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec
Yes, the 5" reflecters have a similar rght angle connection as the 5" HR reflecter. That makes me very happy, so I have a complete Graflite flash set. It seems strange that Graflite wouldn't be on the reflecter. When I bought the Crown it came with a complete HR flash set. Now I've got both.
Those two extension tubes for multiple flash look brand new and I also have the two spring clamps you mentioned with the 1/4"-20 screws. I wonder if those two extension tubes have contain capacitors or all the power has to come from the battery pack at firing? These all came from a junk box I bought on the Bay several years ago.
Harry
Ok, The 5" and 7" flash connections are very similar to the HR reflecters but they are the black plastic type. I do have two other slotted ones like you mentioned that came out of the same box. So they take a special Graflite Head connection?

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-09 15:44 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No electronics other than wires in the extension units. Be sure and get yourself a copy of the Graflite manual to learn how to hook up all that stuff. It will save you from the disconcerting event of either having flash bulbs go off in your hand while you're inserting them [physically painful], or having them not go off during exposure [emotionally painful].
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Graflite 5" reflector assemblies. One is painted grey on the outside of the reflector and the bakelite right angle part is of course black. If you look at the interor that fits on the battery case it stays "Made by Graflex Inc., Graflex Cat. No 2745" If you look at the are where the bulb goes, the socket is made of a spring sheet metal with a fairly small diameter cupped pin in the center. On this one the reflector is removable. This is the LATE version (post 1954)

The other reflector as a nearly identical right angle assembly but the interior reads "Graflex 5in. Reflector, cat 2749" . On this one the back of the reflector is bright and seems a bit heavier in guage that the later one. The bulb section is not metal but bakelite and has a fat pin with a small sharp point at the end. The reflector on this one is not removable.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2003-02-09 15:52 ]
worldphoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alec and Les. After Alec mentioned the Manual I said 'Hey' I have that manual and then Les tells me to look in the hole! The one I have in my hand is the No. 2749 reflector and it's confirmed in the manual. Also, the manual shows tyhe 'GRAFLITE Side lighting Unit Including 15' extension cord, less reflector ... Cat. No. 2712'. The picture also shows the clamp! (Note: Graflex manual "Graflite Flash Equipment Guidebook" is also good.)
Thanks again, Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-28 22:44 ]
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of the 2 different 5" reflectors & right-angle heads; but now that you mention it, Les, I do have one of each. So the non-removable reflector is pre-1954? Could this also be an approximation of when they changed the #2773 battery tube from reading "GRAFLEX" near the center to reading "GRAFLITE" closer to the household ports? Constantly learning something new here..........
Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! never noticed that either! Yeah I guess. The case with the Graflite at the top has the "not for use with 110v" on the front and under "catalog 2773". Also the bottom cap has a 1/4-20 screw socket, the battery spring is smaller in dia and has a metal clip.

The 'center labeled" Graflite has a large 'coin slot" in the bottom and the battery spring is full diameter and relies on tension to stay in, and the 110v warning is in the back.

Gut reaction says the Center labeled case is the older one.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1954 date comes from an M-2 adapter box. I was unaware that there were two different reflectors either. I got this New Old Stock Graflex bayonet to M2 base adapter on ebay. I've never seen a better built (gotta be military spec) adapter.
On the box it says (for use with 5" reflectors built after 1954. Well I had the pre-54 version--the one with the bakelite socket. Well it wouldn't go in. "but it's gotta go in!" I finally got it to go in... and in the process broke the bakelite in three pieces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: