Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I buy a Decent Graflex? Check it out....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrcowlishaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this camera through Ebay. Here is the link to a Graflex Speed Graphic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3002812265&rd=1

Its listed as a GRAFLEX SPEED GRAPHIC EKTAR 127MM LENS 3X4! I do not know if this camera will accept current Sheet Films. I am really new to this, so bear with me!

Is this a good intro camera into LF Photography?

Please let me know. If you wish to email me, I might respond quicker!

Nathan Cowlishaw
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan, I wish you had asked this question before you bought the camera. It's just my opinion, but for a new LF user, I don't think this camera was a bargain for you.

First, it is a camera made to use 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film. That's not good, because no one I'm aware of still makes that size film anymore. Oh, you CAN buy film in that size, but it is custom-cut film that costs more than you'll probably want to pay.

Second, roll film holders, using 120 film, were made for this camera, but they are rare, and very expensive. So that's not a good option either.

Third, sheet film holders for these cameras are still available on the used market, so you'll have no problem finding them.

Fourth, with respect to your question about using "current sheet films", I'm afraid you'll find the film available, as custom-cut mentioned above, are very limited.

In summary, for a more usable camera, you should have purchased a 4x5 camera, not a 3x4 model, because of the reasons above.

The foregoing is just my opinion. I'm sorry if this seems negative, but you did ask. Frankly, were this me, I would consider requesting a return for a refund. Others will undoubtedly have varying opinions. That's what this forum is all about. Good luck with your camera.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-3x4.html
I would not have paid more than the $47.50.

nrcowlishaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Although I can look at this negative, I won't! I can probably resell this camera. I will have to keep my eyes open for a 4x5 Graflex. If you have any good places you know of to buy these cameras used, I would like to hear about it.

I really thankyou for clarifying these qustions for me!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to the same site you found the current one, on the home page, type graphic or graflex intp the box and click find it. Feel free to ask questions in the various sections of this fourm or read some of the many informative section on the home page of this site.
Charles

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you really get a 3x4 for less then $50? I might get a good paper cutter and cut my own film for that price.

Look at it this way. You've got a good lens if you can find a camera with a bad lens or no lens you're cooking.

Is anybody cutting there own film? I know sharp things in the dark aren't the greatest things but you got to do what you got to do.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what the heck! Looks like a great camera. You can buy Ilford 4X5 B&W Sheet film in a variety of speeds for around 16 bucks for 25 sheets. Get a paper cutter and cut your own...and have fun! Good luck. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-29 16:40, nrcowlishaw wrote:
I bought this camera through Ebay. Here is the link to a Graflex Speed Graphic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3002812265&rd=1

Its listed as a GRAFLEX SPEED GRAPHIC EKTAR 127MM LENS 3X4! I do not know if this camera will accept current Sheet Films. I am really new to this, so bear with me!

Is this a good intro camera into LF Photography?

Please let me know. If you wish to email me, I might respond quicker!

Nathan Cowlishaw
Another instance of ready, fire, aim. And it appears to have a spring back too, not a Graflok.

Oh, well, now that you have a lemon its time to think of refreshing beverages. As you've been told, its still a useful camera and it certainly has a nice lens.

If you're patient, eventually a 3x4 Adapt-A-Roll 620 back will turn up on eBay. I once sold a 3x4 there for $100, but they rarely bring that much. While waiting for one to turn up there, you might do a web search for Adapt-A-Roll 620 from time to time. From time to time some dealer or other will have one for not too much. Be patient.

Or, as has been suggested you can cut film or sell the camera. But from now on look before leaping.

Good luck, there are worse mistakes,

Dan
xyzphoto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, a post by alecj in the "film help" section on 12-1-2002 mentions a new source of 3 x 4 cut film.
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that site again:

http://www.jandcphotography.com/

Their page says they'll have 3x4 film in March, 2003. Neither the brand, nor the price is yet available.

This outfit does currently have some great imported film in other sizes available now, especially FOMA film which I really like. I don't have a 3x4, but hope they will have something affordable since, as Les can attest, there's surely a need for it, but no reasonable source yet.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-01-30 21:17 ]
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im purely speaking from an Englishman's point of view-5x4 here in G.B.would be the favourite camera.Why,because you can buy all the film,from Kodak & Ilford in B/W,plus colour trannie and negative galore...also many labs here will process this size for you.
When you embark on another format restrictions are placed on you (they never were of course),unless you have a 120 roll film back-in your case you cannot do this.
As the previous posts have said-cut your own B/W,but this can be tricky in the darkroom.I do this myself by making a jig.
...or keep to the roll film back,BUT then you are NOT getting the beauty from the size intended.
Perhaps Im a 'masochist'by taking on the Quarter plate size,but I've had it for so many years you get set in your ways.
Stick to 5x4...Still a great camera though,whatever size.
Greetings from London!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: