Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfhguy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Graflex is a green US Army Signal Corps model, green, ser. #892030, with 127mm Optar/Graphex ser. #927537. The back takes 4x5 film holders and a Calumet 120 roll back. My question is, should this one have a fresnel lens between the ground glass and the lens or not? If I put one in, the clips won't hold the viewing hood securely, while they do with just the ground glass. Can anyone give me any info on the peculiarities of the military models? Thanks.
stephen

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Speed Graphics had a fresnel lens.
They were an optional accessory which requires machining of the frame it mounts in.
The amount to remove depends on the model of the camera.
The machining of the frame isn't just for the thickness of the fresnel, it compensates for the focal length of the fresnel lens. If you just install one, you will not be able to focus accuratly with the ground glass.

Stephen
hycamcan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact , Graflex made 2 different frames -one to fit the ground glass only ( early 1950 or so when the Graflok back was first introduced for the 4x5 cameras ) and another to accept the ground glass AND the fresnel screen ( 1950 on , after the fresnel was introduced ) Of course , they are not interchangeable .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: