Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tripods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get a feeling on how bad a tripod is good enough? I'm looking at Velbon Sherpa 750. [Called Efl chaser 4 in the US. I think] It's a reasonable price and I think more then good enough for everything but the view camera. Will it survie under the View I? Or how about the calumet 401 I'm getting? If it's not strong enough anything else in a similar price range that isn't too much heavier?
Thanks
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of either of these tripods and I can't find a photo of the Calumet on their site.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/139172/VECEFL4A/REG/2636

That's the tripod. Supposedly able to handle 12lbs.

The Calumet 401 is the long version of the 400 series. I think they stopped making them in 1980 but the one I'm supposed to get is older. The way I understand the history it's the same camera that Kodak sold under the MasterView name and that B&J sold under the Orbit name. 4x5.
hellerharris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of Calumet Lightpro legs, which they're clearing out at $99.00, down from $229.00. Don't know if they're up to pro use, but they seem sturdy and are guaranteed. They are more than enough for my Century with a very heavy Tele-Arton f/4.

Also - I discovered that British camera shops have been selling the Giottos MH1000 ball head for about half of the US price. Even with shipping, it's still much cheaper that buying anywhere here.

________
Suzuki Burgman history

Last edited by hellerharris on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up bringing the camera with me to the store. Figured better any problems show up before I buy it. It's acutally fine with the weight of view camera. The camera is high enough that I don't need to extend the whole leg which I guess helps. With the lousy weather I haven't been able to take it outside so that's the real test. It isn't fancy but seems to do what I need.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs look good to me. I always find I want the camera at just above head hight and with the specs saying it goes to 5 feet, that's good enough.

Good luck. I expect a report by spring.
Frost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a TiltAll tripod that I bought back in 1985 (thereababouts. A good friend of mine that had ALL kinds of photo equipment, including the Calumet view used a Majestic tripod, and it was a real sturdy setup. I seem to get along with my Tiltall with no problem on a Graflex View II and my Crown 4X5.

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-17 04:43, Frost wrote:
I use a TiltAll tripod that I bought back in 1985 (thereababouts. A good friend of mine that had ALL kinds of photo equipment, including the Calumet view used a Majestic tripod, and it was a real sturdy setup. I seem to get along with my Tiltall with no problem on a Graflex View II and my Crown 4X5.

Um, I have a Star-D D26 (imitation TiltAll, seems to have come from the same machine shop) bought in 1978 that differs from real TiltAlls of that vintage only in having plastic on metal, not solid metal, knobs. I've found it problematic with long lenses. Two problems, not steady enough AND really clamping down shifts the point of aim a little. This last is a real problem with a 700 mm lens. IMO, TiltAlls and clones are much overrated.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: