Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex holder profile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Workman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a Graflex holder "always" so?
That is, I bought an Anniv Speed body for the shutter and found the back looked like a Graflex, but the #53 rollholder won't quite fit. Did the profile change in 25 or so years or is it a strange back on the Anniv.??
I regret I can't try it on my 4x5 B cuz it's in deep storage.
And another thing, film width of #53 appears to be extremely close to the 5.2" width used by the K-20 and other aerial cameras. The "reversed paper backing" note on the RIT website is still confusing me. Anybody know if that comment is incomplete, wrong, or just refers to color choice?? It appears that the 50 series rollholders could use conventional roll film ( yes except for width ) albeit thru a tortuous path from spool to spool. But that path looks alot like the "bad example" used in advertising for MF rollholders in the 70's. The Graflex path allows the frame number to be read through the red window and a very compact package.
thanks
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Graflex back SHOULD allow any Graflex accessory to fit, no matter what camera or what decade. So I can't help you there.

The reversed paper reference on RIT was confirmed recently on ebay where a 3.5 x 5 version (#52) actually had old film in the holder and showed with the reverse backing!
(and I missed getting it by a phone call!!!)

If you know medium format you know the film is wound counter clock-wise comes off the spool on the inside and takes a hard U-turn to get to the film backing plate.

Well Graflex wound their film the other way with the film coming off the outside of the spool. If done with "normal film" this would put the paper infront of the film when it ran through the gate, so Graflex put the paper behind the film.! I have to assume there is a very long lead and tail on those rolls or people would get lots of fogged film.
Ed Workman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information.
I too would have been very interested in a #52 Postcard size WOW. Now to figure out what the heck this back really is.
Ed Workman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a dope for trying to sliiiiiide the holder in, it fits snugly by doing it correctly, similar to the way one inserts and secures a lensboard.
Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: