Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

William T "Doc" Skinner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jantman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wonderign if anyone knows anything about a man named William Thomas "Doc" Skinner. He was a photographer for a few newspapers in Chicago and New York, and also invented and designed the forerunner of the Speed Graphic, which was produced by Graflex. He also invented an early synchronized flash called the "Skinner Speedgun." If anyone has any information, please e-mail me at jantman@optonline.net. Thanks,
Jason S Antman
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the June 1949 editon of The Camera Magazine. There is an article in there entitled "40 years a Newscameraman" by W.T. (Doc) Skinner.

He talks about "The first Speed Graphic I designed and built was in 1909. I figured out a box 2.5" thick in regular 4x5 size. Then I sent the specification to Folmer and Schwing, Graflex Division. Mr. Folmer didn't want to make it up for me at all. He finally agreed to fill the order, for $75.00. That included nothing but the camera bos with lensboard and a focal plane shutter in back. It had a single track, non-adjustable slits like the pre-war model* and I used a 5" B&L Tessar in a front shutter. The others used a 4 3/4" Dagor.

When I began using it, the other newscameramen watch. When they realized its advantages... they orded copies. that same caemra, changed only by the addition of a larger lens and a double track is the Speed Graphic of today. My reward was a gift of six cameras--plus the fact that I had a more compact camera that could take better news pictures.

It also talks about his modification of a Prosch's flash cap and that he was too poor to patent it. Others discovered the modification and "everyne at the 1912 Republican Convention was using synchronized flash"

The "Skinner Lamp" seemingly was a patented variation of the Telephone Lamp. he made about 200 of these before flash bulbs "spoiled the sale of the patent"

While the rest of the article talks about his circus photography and his experiements with "speedlites" it doesn't mention a "Skinner speedgun" I doubt that was the name since by this time speedgun was trademarked by Mendelson

*I think his memory slipped. His favorite camera at the time of the article was and Ihagee 2x3 which may have had a variable slit shutter. All Speed Graphic cameras had/have fixed slit shutters.
jantman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find a copy of the magazine. He was my grandfather's brother.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find him let me know. I want one of those 6 cameras...... or at least a photo of one.

Les
jantman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found the info on him in his obituary, so I don't think there's much luck of that. My grandfather is also deceased, but had many many photos, slides, films, etc. so maybe there's a photo of it somewhere. My uncle has most of my grandfather's stuff, but we're not exactly so close. Maybe I'll ask him sometime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: