Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have seen an 85% new "Century Graphic", how much should I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCFAN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen an 85% new "Century Graphic" available in local camera sales website, with a Glaflar 101mm/F4.5 lens and 2 backs,how much should I bid for it?
Thank you for your kind advice and help!
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Graflar is the weakest of the lenses in the Graflex line. I suggest you look a completed auctions to see what they've been selling for. Se sure that the top view finder is there, or compensate for it's loss.

Failing that, I use my puke test. Check your bank account and your credit card balance. Then repeat the sentence ' I paid $10" for this camera. Then increase the amount until the grin falls from your face and your stomach turns. THAT's how much you should bid.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answer, Les. Something must be the matter with my gag reflex/reverse peristalsis mechanism, considering all the $$ I've burned on photo stuff and never once talked to Ralph on the big white phone.

The Graflar won't allow much if any front standard movement. Other than that, the one that came on my Century is pretty sharp, and it is very convenient for hand-held shooting because it's self-cocking. If DCFAN intends to use the camera that way, he should also make sure his Century has the Kalart rangefinder, and that it is sighted in accurately for the lens. The top view finder, if by that you mean the optical viewfinder, I have found is awkward to use with a roll film holder in place---like, where do you put the rest of your face when one eyeball is scrunched up there? At least with the Kalart you can focus with the left eye and your face is hanging off the right side of the camera. For a viewfinder, I got good results with the wire frame finder ("sports finder") on the Century.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking http://www.photographics.com/ a Century in Excellent condition is listed at $171, a Graftar or Optar 101 at $41; Excellent Plus for the body is $270 and the lens $69; rollfilm backs are listed at $48 to $78. Add at least $100 to any bid amount if you REALLY want the camera as its actual value won't matter.
Charles

Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on all points. Infact I rarely use the optical finder even on my 4x5. I didn't want the condition luring him into paying top dollar for a camera with parts missing and a cheap (but adequate) lens.
DCFAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much,Les,Henry and 45PSS for your kind advices! Actually the owner is selling it for USD268,including body,lens,optical viewfinder with shade, a 6 x 9 roll film back and a 6 x 9 single frame back. According to the market prices quoted by http://www.photographics.com, it's worth the price. I have made appointment with the owner to check the camera condition this weekend and appreciate the photos taken by it,if everything is OK, I will buy it with pleasure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: