Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View Backs Information Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etillema@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I am new to Large Format so please bear with me. I recently purchased a Graphic View, it is on its way to me thru the UPS system. I wish to buy a rollfilm back and a Polaroid back for it. How do I know what back fits? The information I find say it could have either the Graflex or Graphic back. What is the difference and how do I tell which one I have, when the camera gets here of course? Also what rollfilm back do I buy and what Polaroid back, and what film fits the Polaroid back? I know this is alot of questions but I am very ignorant, and any help is appreciated. Also could someone recommend a good How To Use a View Camera Book?
Thanks a bunch
Ed.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether your Graphic View has a spring back or a Graflok back, it'll take a Polaroid back. You need to look for a Polaroid model 545i, either through eBay or from retailers such as B&H, Abbey Camera, etc. Cost of a new 545i is around $160, I think.

As for a rollfilm back, you'd probably be well advised to stick to sheet film for now, which is quite enough to have to learn without adding another element.

I wouldn't know where to begin recommending a single work about the use of a view camera, but your local library would be a good place to start. It's the same as using any other camera, only it's different.

Here's a link to the Graflex.Org article about the Graphic View; the article about its successor, the Graphic View II is linked at the end.

http://graflex.org/articles/graphic-view/GraphicView.html

The camera below is a Graphic View II.

I guess I need to correct myself about something; the Polaroid 545i and 545 Pro are made for "peel-apart" sheet films. The model 405 and model 550 are for pack films.

Here's a link to Polaroid's page about film holders, and you can find info about different films as well:

http://www.polaroid.com/products/instant_cameras/filmholders/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: LelandRay on 2001-07-04 15:24 ]
etillema@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still confused about the differences between Graflex, Graflok, and Graphic backs.
How do I tell which fits my camera. (A Graphic View 4x5). The article on Graphic Views says it could come with either the Graflex or the Graphic, and that many were converted over the years to Graflok. I am sooo confused.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Graphic back is another name for a spring back--The ground glass is attached to the camera through flat springs, it cannot come off without a screwdriver

a Graflok back is attached to the camera by to chrome struts that are spring loaded (radial springs) by depressing and sliding the struts, the ground glass can come off for a roll back, but IT DOES NOT COME OFF IN NORMAL USE. There are two slide locks to lock down the roll back or even the Polaroid 545 back, and the Grafmatic back

A Graflex back has slide locks too, but they HAVE to be used to hold the film holder, which has slots in the sides. The ground glass slides in and MUST BE REMOVED before the film holder is attached.

Here is a photo of the graphic(top) back and the graflok back

http://www.ismi.net/~lnphoto/graflockgraphic.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-07-08 09:54 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Note--The backs that are shown in the photos are Speed/Crown Graphic backs--The backs for the View I and the View II are made differently, in that they are attached by pins, and the back has to be removed, rotated and reinstalled. Also the outside dims are smaller on the view back--so the backs are not interchangeable between the cameras! The folding hood and the ground glass are interchangable on the Graflok backs!
etillema@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you have been a Godsend, this information is very difficult to find, and this can be confusing for the novice.
Thanks again.
Ed.
klotz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you found the info hard to find. L The Speed Graphic FAQ has pictures, at http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack. If you folks think the text there needs to be re-done, please make suggestions.

Maybe if Les is willing we can put his new pictures in as well!

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a definite difference in the Speed/Crown, and the spring/Graflok on the view cameras.
The photos posted on the instruction pages, are not large enough to see the differences
between the Speed/Crown and the View backs!
It would be helpfull to add this info, via side by side comparitive photos! Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2001-08-23 10:48 ]
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-20 09:23, bertsaunders wrote:
There is a definite difference in the Speed/Crown, and the spring/Graflok on the view cameras.
The photos posted on the instruction pages, are not large enough to see the differences
between the Speed/Crown and the View backs!
It would be helpfull to add this info, via side by side comparitive photos! Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2001-08-23 10:48 ]

Amen! I just blundered into this thread after looking at the photos Bert refers to. I wondered if I was alone as the only one who could not tell what the difference(s) were from the photos. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Les's post the Graflok back is the TOP image, contrary to his message. Still confused....?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have photos of the 2 View backs side by side--if anyone is interested--EMAIL ME!
Bert
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polaroid 545 and 545i film holders take both the Poloplan 100 and 55 single sheet packs, for using regular film you have a wide range of options in 4x5 film from B&W, color negative, and color reversal film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: