Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark JW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(oops i got that stupid tank again. Graflex.ORG, not .COM )

Are there any special tricks or details that I need to know in order to make a wood lens board?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drawing would help....I have a sketch for several models, with suggested material!
contact me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Bert
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the tools you have at hand, and which lensboard you wanted to make.

For my own use I make three different lensboards.

A. quick and dirty: use black matte board and an exacto knife. Draw diagonals to find the center then trace the threads of the lens for the hole. I stab with the exacto knife to make the hole (connect the dots) Yes this does work with a Pacemaker cameras, just use one thickness of matte board.

B. Quick. Use Baltic birch plywood. Now I have access to a table saw, and router so making these
are fairly fast. You could get by with a circular saw or a *****(hee hee, make that scroll) saw, but will need the router for the rabets, or a damn good rabbet plane and a fworkbench. good for Anni-speeds but hard for Pacemakers.

C. Graflex quality. This entails making three pieces out of mahogany with small rabbets and grooves. A very good dado head and a table saw is a necessity. Good black laquer is hard to find, and takes time to finish. The others I leave raw as a reminder that I really want a good board someday.

I've never tried to stampe a new lensboard out of sheet metal.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-09-13 19:59 ]
Mark JW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bert, Les.

It so happens that I have a table saw, and a router.

I also have a realy nice, antique rabit plane that works like a dream (it needs a little sharpening though). Sounds like a nice rainy afternoon project.

Mark
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with old woodworkers. "A well tuned plane will be faster,more enjoyable, and cheaper than a router" they told me. And they were right, my Stanley Bedrock #4, 5 &6 were all cheaper than a router. I fell in love with them.

But what the old timers didn't tell me, was that without a good workbench (workmates don't count) they will be difficult to use.

A well tuned rabbet plane will work well, just have a very sturdy place to anchor the wood or you'll be more frustrated than a press photographer at a Mercury 7 launch with empty holders.
Mark JW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-14 21:04, Les wrote:
my Stanley Bedrock #4, 5 &6 were all cheaper than a router. I fell in love with them.

Not at todays prices they won't be

Are you thinking of selling those bedrocks?

Seriously. They are right. A good work bench is a must. I throw a couple of #75 sand bags across the bottom legs of my workmut and it pretty much stays in place.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark JW on 2002-09-15 15:37 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
my Stanley Bedrock #4, 5 &6 were all cheaper than a router. I fell in love with them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wrote:

Not at todays prices they won't be

I disagree. Each one of those planes cost less than my 3hp Porter-Cable Speedmatic. something I can't say for my Lie Neilsen's.
Mark JW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neanderthal!

There is something about well crafted tool and machines, be it an old camera, a hand plane, or whatever!

BTW For great hand tool discussions, go here:
http://www.wwforum.com/cgi-bin/forum_main/handtool.cgi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: