Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Architectural

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
West

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly take portraits and landscapes, but was thinking of doing some architectural work and wondering if a Crown or Speed would have enough movements. I really would prefer something compact and was hoping to avoid a monorail. Any suggestions?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Crown Graphic, a 90 angulon, a 65 Super and a 58 Grandagon remounted on a graphic board. that will take care of about 80% of the tough shots-- the ones where you are straddling the toilet and the assistand is holding the light like a boom from the shower.

Yes there will be shots where you run out of movements, but shooting large buildings will minimize this. And by the time you relealize that you really need those movements, you'll have made enough money to buy the 6x4.5cm monorail camera and digiback that will allow you to do those movements.
West

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you are suggesting the Crown because it will take the wide angle lenses I will be using. I don't recognize the Grandagon, but will look for it. I am also assuming you mean that the larger buildings will give me a place to put the camera. I pray that you are correct about your last statement!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside 90% of the movements I do is to raise the lens and get rid of the asphalt. The longer the lens, the better chance you have of not running out of movements. Unless you are in an urban setting, most of the larger buildings these days have enough room around them so that you can get back.

Small rooms are always the toughest. the bath being the worst. No place to put your camera and lights without it reflecting in the mirror. Small rooms need a super wide, like a 58 grandagon and careful use of swings to stay away from the wide angle effect. or to accept that you can't 'get it all' and settle for a smaller shot (longer lens)that conveys the feeling of the room.

When I started, I could do very well with a Cambo mono rail, a 180 symmar s a 90, and a 65 SA. These were near the cutting edge at the time.

Now with the Schneider XL line has a 58mmm lens that covers 4x5 with movements and others, to get the best glass available for three focal lenght will run well over $5,000. If you want to go digital you'll need VERY short lenses to cover the smaller format of the CCD. You can blow $15,000 on the camera and the lenses. Add a digiback, add 20K not including the hot laptop you'll need to go with it, both of which will be outdated in less than 5 years.

the Grandagon was a wide angle lens for the Graflex XL camera it will cover 4x5 barely wide open and okay stopped down. No movements. The shutter is so small you'll have to add somethings to the lensboard to have a cable release and a view button.
West

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rosy picture you are painting! (Thank you sincerely!.) Assuming I can afford one or two of these expensive puppies, do you know any good used sources (aside from ebay)? It also looks like I will need to really be busy or charge a lot to go this route. What are photogs charging for this kind of work these days?
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you absolutely committed to 4x5? I've been doing architectural work with the Century Graphic and 120 roll film, using 65, 101, and 203 Optar lenses. I scan the negs into Photoshop LE and straighten perspective in Photoshop Elements. Prints are produced on the Epson 1270. This way you can compensate for the limited camera movements (especially in vertical format) and lens coverage, and not break the bank on those $5,000 lenses. Of course, you do have to lay out a few bucks for the hardware, but at least the camera and gear are within reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: