Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you fit a Crown in the case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave@thinbits.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased 4212 case which is supposed to be for a Speed or Crown Graphic, but I cant seem to figure out how to get my Crown to fit in.

It looks like the camera should fit in the left hand side of the case, and maybe slide into the wooden guides. But no matter what orientation I try, the Crown either does not fit into the wooden slides, or the flash holder on the under side of the lid hits the rangefinder on the top of the Crown when I shut the lid.

Does someone here know how this is supposed to work? I can post pictures of the inside of the case if that would help...

Thanks
Dave
DonH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a 4212 case is. Pictures would help, maybe we'll figure it out.
Don
dave@thinbits.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics:

Box and camera for size comparison

Looking down into box

The wooden guides

The camera only fits in sideways. It looks like it should somehow slide into the wooden guides, maybe all the way to the left, but there is not enough of a gap between the leftmost guides and the side of the case.

It does not slide into the next set of guides because the metal bracket for the strap on the camera juts out a bit too far.

I thought it might work with the old Graflok back installed, but that didn't do it either.

Was this case mislabeled and not designed for a Crown Graphic? Or have I just not found the right orientation yet?

Dave
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure just what that case was intended for, but maybe I can give a little help. Those wooden guides you are talking about are designed to hold the flash reflectors, not a camera. On all the Graflex cases I have owned, the camera went into a central location, which had an expansion area just like yours. Are you sure that after turning the camera so the handle is down it won't fit into that central "pocket"? One of these cases was made for the Graphic View cameras but this doesn't look like one of them to me.

Upon further reflection, I realized you are using a later, top mounted rangefinder model. I bet that is the problem. Most likely that case was designed for a SIDE-mounted rangefinder model, which is not as tall.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2001-07-10 06:32 ]
DonH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I side with alecj on this one, that looks just like both of my cases, only better. Try sliding the camera in sideways, handle up. Might work.
Good luck,
Don
DonH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I side with alecj on this one, that looks just like both of my cases, only better. Try sliding the camera in sideways, handle up, right in back of the center lock/latch. Might work.
Good luck,
Don
dave@thinbits.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

The seller just sent me a scan of a diagram from a Graflex manual which does indeed show the camera going into the front central area, not the left side as I was trying. The camera in the diagram has a top rangefinder (like mine) and slid in with the leather strap on the left.

So, the front area is wide enough for the camera, but there are wooden blocks with slots on the left and right sides towards the front of the case. They intrude on the space enough that the camera won't fit in. The spot is wide enough and tall enought. but not deep enough with the attached blocks.

I'm now wondering if I made a mistake in purchasing the case or the seller mislabeled it. The page on ebay stated that it was a "Graflex Vulcanoid Case Cat. No. 4212" for Speed or Crown GRAPHIC 4x5 cameras and accessories.

I have a 4x5 Crown Graphic Special. Is the "Special" model deeper than a normal Crown Graphic? I looked on the Graphic Model History page and didn't see anything mentioned like this, so I assumed it would work. Did I assume wrong?

Or did the seller accidentally mislabel the case? I think he might have got his information about the case from a similar auction on ebay for a 2x3 camera case.

Thanks,
Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dave@thinbits.com on 2001-07-10 21:06 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing Special about a Crown Special was the price since it used a cheap Schneider Xenar instead of an American Ektar. (In the 50s Germany had cheap labor, like china and Taiwan does today, even so big WF etars were assembled in Germany.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: