Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schnieder Convertable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lens that came with my Graphic View that is marked Schneider-Keruznach Symmar 1:5.6/150 in white and 1:12/265 in red. The F stops have two scales, red and white. Does this lens have 2 useable focal lengths? If so, how do I control them? There appear to be no controls to switch between them. Am I missing a front lens element? If so, does anyone know where I can find one? Thank You
Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old symmar was indeed convertable. But first some lens nomenclature. With LF lenses there are two cells, one in front and one in back. They are seperated by either a shutter or a barrel which would have only an iris.

Yours is probably in a compur shutter.
the 150mm focal lenght is used with both cells screwed into the shutter. To use the 270, remove the front cell, which is what sounds like happened.

I don't want to be an absolute defeatest about this, but you'll have a better chance of me giving you all of the money when I win the lottery than you do finding the proper front cell, without buying a complete lens. These were usually finished as a pair, so I suggest you dig a little deeper or ask whomever you got it from if they can look in that sock drawer one more time.
Mark Neubert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, Thank you for your fast response. The lens in question is indeed in a compur shutter. The front element (cell) screws off, and the rear element (cell) screws off, with the shutter being in the middle. Did the part you think that I may be missing screw onto the front like a filter? Please if you would, look on the help page for View cameras. I have 2 more questions listed. I'm new to view cameras, and this site is wonderful. Thanks again, Mark Neubert

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Neubert on 2002-09-01 18:42 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-01 18:41, Mark Neubert wrote:
Les, Thank you for your fast response. The lens in question is indeed in a compur shutter. The front element (cell) screws off, and the rear element (cell) screws off, with the shutter being in the middle. Did the part you think that I may be missing screw onto the front like a filter? Please if you would, look on the help page for View cameras. I have 2 more questions listed. I'm new to view cameras, and this site is wonderful. Thanks again, Mark Neubert

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Neubert on 2002-09-01 18:42 ]
PMFJI. Mark, I think Les feared that you didn't have the front cell. If you have both cells (sounds like you do), you're set.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right and there's no pardon necessary. You asked if you were missing the front element. I assumed from that, that you didn't have any glass in front of the shutter. If you do then you are all set. When using the rear half alone, stop down to f22 or more for best results.

extraparts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard it recomended that you use a yellow filter with black and white when only using the rear cell. This is because the single cell is not as well corrected for cromatic aberation ( red light rays bend differently than blue). Using the yellow filter reduces the range of color that the lens has to deal with.

Ron Wisner (Wisner.com) sells a zero corrector element for this purpose when using his convertible lens set with color film. However, his zero corrector alone probably costs more than your lens and camera.

You might also want to read about this on the Schneideroptics.com site.

Neal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: