Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ektar 105mm f3.7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that this lens that was used on the 2X3 Graphics can also be used on enlargers. Is this true, and if so, is the shutter easily removed for this use? Thank you for sharing any information you have on this.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

105mm should be okay for some applications....I use 75mm for 2X3 and 2X2...and 50mm for 35mm...but why remove the shutter? Just set it on T (Time) and open the shutter with the shutter release.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-08-30 06:06 ]
Daryl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your 75mm lens an enlarging Ektar? I have one and it does fine on 6X7, but I've heard that for 6X9 the 105 Ektar does better. Now, I've also read that the 101mm f4.5 is a fine lens. And, it might also be somewhat easier to find than the 105mm f3.7. Anybody with experiences using one or the other on an enlarger care to comment? Largest enlargement I'd do would be 20X24.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 105 is a Heliar design with 5 elements, te 101 Ektar is a Tessar design, both are formulated for infinity.

Before I'd spend the $100+ on a Heliar, should you find one by itself, I'd spend that or less on 100mm Componon S 5.6. That lens will out perform anything you can throw at it and a quick check on ebay shows they sell for around $100.
An enlarging ektar 100 f3.5 (probably a tessar too but designed for close up) was less than $25 and would still out perform the Heliar or the 101 ektar.

Now for images up to 8x10 the difference between the enlarging ektar and the 101 ektar would be slim, but for the price why not?

And if you've got the money, get a Componon or Componon S. The S was their top of the line before the HM series came out.

Prices have fallen through the basement on enlarging lenses, so there's really no need to try to use a taking lens. And if you got a speed with a working FP shutter, then you have a kickbutt macro lens to boot!
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 75mm lens is an enlarging Ektar, and it is excellent for my hobby, which deals mostly with 8"X10"s. However, it was my assumption that since Graflex manufactured Graflarger Backs for Graphics, the taking lenses would be acceptable as enlarging lenses. Fred.
Daryl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, that's what I thought too. But, since Kodak also manufactured "Enlarging Ektar" lenses, perhaps there is some difference. Makes sense that the non enlarger lenses would be designed for optimum focus at infinity, and that the Enlarging Ektars would be optimized for under 48". Or is that notion nonsense? As to the Enlarging Ektar lenses, there are a couple of different versions that I have seen. Those with heavy corrugations on the aperture ring I believe were of the heliar design. Those with finer criss-cross machining on the aperture ring I've read somewhere are tessar design. Of the heliar design, I have a 75 and a 50mm, which are not uncommon. However, I've not yet seen a 105 heliar type Enlarging Ektar. 100mm tessar design I have seen. I believe, however, that a 105 heliar type was made for the Kodak Precision enlarger. Can anyone confirm this?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info, Daryl. I have and use a Kodak Precision Enlarger...and it has a Kodak Enlarging Ektar,f 4.5, 75mm, with heavy corrugations on the aperture ring. If your info is correct, it's a Heliar rather than a Tessar-type, eh? Since I use the Enlarger for 2X2" and 2X3", it's the ideal lens for me. Although I haven't seen carriers this size, it appears the enlarger could possibly accomodate a negative up to 3X4". Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-31 10:32, Daryl wrote:
Fred, that's what I thought too. But, since Kodak also manufactured "Enlarging Ektar" lenses, perhaps there is some difference. Makes sense that the non enlarger lenses would be designed for optimum focus at infinity, and that the Enlarging Ektars would be optimized for under 48". Or is that notion nonsense? As to the Enlarging Ektar lenses, there are a couple of different versions that I have seen. Those with heavy corrugations on the aperture ring I believe were of the heliar design. Those with finer criss-cross machining on the aperture ring I've read somewhere are tessar design. Of the heliar design, I have a 75 and a 50mm, which are not uncommon. However, I've not yet seen a 105 heliar type Enlarging Ektar. 100mm tessar design I have seen. I believe, however, that a 105 heliar type was made for the Kodak Precision enlarger. Can anyone confirm this?
Daryl, according to Kingslake the 50/4.5 and 75/4.5 Enlarging Ektars are Heliar types. He mentions no other focal lengths.

FWIW, Kodak's pamphlet N-12B "Photomacrography" says that they're both very good for high magnification close-up work (above 1:1). I have the 50, its quite usable in that application.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which of Kingslake's book did you referr to?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-31 14:27, Les wrote:
Which of Kingslake's book did you referr to?
Hi, Les. Lenses In Photography, revised edition, 1963 copyright.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I have the first edition, 1950 of the same book. One of my pricier book purchases, but Rudy signed it, so I couldn't pass that up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: