Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphex syncromatic... no such thing as a dumb question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased and received a Graflex Optar 135 mm lens in the above mentioned Graphex syncromatic shutter. Haven't had the cahnce to write to the seller yet about operation... it is advertized as working and have no reason to doubt this. My question is how to cock and fire the shutter. I'm an aold hand at a variety of lenses, but this one has me stumped: I see the shutter release on the side where I would attach the solenoid, and I see what appears the be the shutter cocking lever on top above "Graphex," but it does not move far enough cock the shutter, and I do not want to force it. The full slot appears to be covered by a chromed piece of metal kept in place by a screw (if it is a full slot behind the piece). It looks like I could loosen the screw and slide that piece back to reveal the whole slot, but before i do this I wonder if anyone can confirm this. Is this a safty thing? Thanks on any info you can provide.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've found the right levers. The chrome cover is there to cover the slot and keep dirt from getting into the shutter. When cocked it also reveals a red dot so you know it's cocked.

I should slide freely, but yours may have run into trouble. The world or your shutter won't come to an end if you remove it.

vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gave it a try and it works as described... didn't want to force it until I had a good idea that I was pulling the right thing. I'm going to be sending it to S.K. Grimes for mounting and possible repair... the shutter speed dial doesn't seem to rotate all the way to 200ths 400ths. With luck it just needs to be cleaned out. Thanks.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic, sometimes Steve can't fix these since he doesn't have a large stock of parts. If that's the case vis-a-vis your lens, send it to Fred Lustig in Nevada who specializes in Graflex shutters, cameras.

No disrespect to Steve, just the facts of life.
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good idea... wrote to him (rich enough to afford a lens, poor enough not to afford long-distance calls.... go figure) about my new hybrid speed graphic which is going to need focal shutter repairs (hybrid because when I bought it, the front bed was nearly torn off and I ended up canabalizing parts from a crown graphic: the front standard reads "Speed Graphic" but the plate on the front standard reads "Crown Graphic.") Does he mount lenses, do you know? All things considered, I'd rather pack everything off to one place and have it all done at once.

jeff
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-29 11:37, vic valis wrote:
... Does he mount lenses, do you know? All things considered, I'd rather pack everything off to one place and have it all done at once.

jeff

Yes, Jeff I believe he does. He'll do most anything you want done to these cameras. I know I suggest him a lot, but I've used a lot of repair persons over the years and Fred is the best since Mr. Adams at WD Services. Now HE was a character, as Les knows. Fred ultimately wound up with the parts from WD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: