Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrotype Tins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Does anyone know where I can obtain some good old Ferrotype Tins for drying glossy prints? I used'em in the 40's and 50's...they worked well to add super gloss to a glossy print if you used a wetting agent (Photo-flow)...but I can't find'em. They were either chrome plated or black enameled...and each one would usually dry a couple of 8X10's. Always appreciative of your help. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to get the terminology correct. Searching for Ferrotype PLATES instead of TINS turned up several on B&HPhoto/Video. Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with ferrotype plates, are you asking for the plate to gloss your prints or the substrate for making tin types?

...and don't forget the Pakosol! This was the preferred wetting agent we used when ferrotyping on Pako dryers. With this stuff we were sure to transfer every whisp of a scratch that was on the chrome drum to our print!

....I just check BH photo... at $43 a gallon maybe you should just forget about the Pakosol.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-08-25 05:19 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm older than dirt, but I also used ferrotype TINS, never heard of the plates, I also used the photo-flow solution! And Pakosol at $43/gal, my wife would have put a padlock on the bathroom (darkroom) door!!! I have been looking to replace my old TINS, for several years, without luck, think I saw the photo-flow in the "PORTER'S" catalog, (several years ago)! Thought that the computer would help, it does, but, only to the extent that all the good stuff, is found only on this helpboard, cuz all dem...OLE...guys hangs out here!! Bert
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many and what size do you need? A local store may still have some, I got a pair of 8 X 10's a few years back.
Charles

clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in 1950 they were tins...now they are PLATES. I just ordered two chrome-plated jobbies from Warehouse Photo, 12"X17" each, to try on the glossy Ilford RC I just bought. I used them in the '50's for Kodabromide, usually F3...,and, I assume, that was the rough equivalent of what is now resin-coated paper. I used Photo-flow as a wetting agent...but I am going to try Rexton Hyperwet at only $4.95 a pint...mixed 240-to-1. Fred.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a 12 x17, as soon as I read the post, will have to cut it down to fit the old 8x10 (2) sided dryer...(it's also older than dirt)and name has been rubbed off of it for so long..I dont remember who made it!!! Just may get back in the darkroom for a workout...(still have a bunch of $1.25/gal dry developer to play with (Some D-76, and I think some Dektol??))Thanks........Bert (told you I was older than dirt) haha
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I don't know, Bert...dirt's pretty old. I've been around since the early 30's and I think dirt was already here when I arrived. My earliest recollections are of getting the stuff all over me. The powdered Dektol seems to be a bit tough to dissolve. I'm trying out some Ilford Universal paper Developer, concentrated liquid, as soon as I finish plumbing in the sink in my darkroom. Fred.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the price tag on the dev packages would shock everyone...everything pricewise I've seen lately looks like it was manufactured by Linhof......and I think your wrong about dirt....when my mother used to bathe me, she used to say "my, such a clean baby"....so there couldnt have been any dirt at that time!!! Besides there was that depression too....nobody had nuthin!!
(smile) Bert
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above-mentioned developer was only $4.49 for 500ml, which makes a bunch of W.S. Did the depression end? Can't tell it from my Rollover IRA. Wish they'd bring back the WPA so I could go back to work and buy some bacon. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and I wish the NRA meant what it did back then too.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'm really behind the times. I received my Ilford Ilfospeed RC Deluxe Enlarging Paper, Glossy, Grade 3 yesterday and made a test enlargement. This paper is so glossy it doesn't need to be dried on a Ferrotype Plate...and it air dries suprisingly flat. So much for the Ferrotype Plates I've ordered. I had been using some Forte Fibre-based matte paper, and didn't realize that glossy paper now available is that glossy. Go figure.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd also find that Resin Coated papers won't ferrotype for damn anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: