Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for inexpensive 65mm lens that covers 4x5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgotori

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All

I'm New to this Board, and New to Graflex camera's. I just bought a Speed Graphic off EBAY. The guy I dealt with was a really Great guy. Spent the time to show me how to use the camera, load the film, how to do the lens movements, and how to work the film plane shutter(he was local). It came with a Great 105mm lens, but I'm looking for an inexpensive 65mm lens that will cover 4x5. It doesn't need to have movements, I'll be mainly using it with a 6x7 , and 6x9 roll film backs, would like to have some movement for these formats. I can't afford the $300 to whatever price for a lens... Sooooo...

The last camera show I when to, I saw some 65mm lens that the guy said would cover 6x7, 6x9 and barely cover 4x5. These were $50-$125, looked really clean, scratch free, and hardly any bad marks on the outer body(very old lens). But since I don't have any info on the lens I didn't buy one. What I need is to know is, what name and brand I should look for.

Thanks

Bradley J. Gotori
bgotori@yahoo.com
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there are the mainstream lenses available.

Schneider 65mm f8 SUPER Angulon. This will cover 4x5 with miminal movements. And yes they run about $300. this is really the one you want to cover 4x5

Scneider 65mm F5,6 super Angulon. this will cover a bit more but it HUGE and heavy and is more than double the price of it's little brother. Ignore this one

Schneider 65mm f6.8 Angulon. this covers 6x9, stopped way down it still won't cover 4x5 but might come close.

65mm f6.8 WA Optar. A Wollensak version of the lens above, probably in a Graphex shutter instead of a compur. coverage is the same. The Schneider may be a tad better if you are blowing up negs to 20x24

Beyond ths you get into new glass, and once you look there $300 is cheap.

You should be able to find all of these on ebay or a decent photo show without a problem.
bgotori

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Les

Thanks for the reply!!!

What I'll be doing is scanning the slide for my computer so blowing up isn't something I'll be doing with an enlarger, but with PhotoShop.

Do you think the Schneider 65mm f6.8 Angulon will still be pretty sharp out to the edges if I use 4x5 film, and just falling off FAST at the edges??? I'm looking at shooting mostly at f22 or more for the 4x5 stuff.

Thanks

Bradley J. Gotori
bgotori@yahoo.com
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really tested the 65 angulon at the edges, the super does fall off sharply and the one I had was a great performer.

Schneider's data is here
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/angulon/data/6,8-65mm.html

and it lists a 109mm diameter at f16. That's barely covering 6x9cm! there's NO way this will do much good on 4x5. Most of the time stopping down doesn't increase the image circle as much as it does increase the area of good definition. For example the image circle is 109 at f16. The diameter of the circle of good illumination maybe somewhat larger than that, but at f16 only 109mm is sharp. by f45 you've sharpened up the fall off, and gained a couple of mm, but it's still a long way off from covering 4x5.

I'm wondering at this point in the whole big picture if you wouldn't be better off staying with 6x9 and putting the money from 4x5 lenses into a good 120 film scanner instead of a flatbed scanner.
of course on this list such thinking is blasphemy.
extraparts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scan 4x5s with a flat bed scanner just to see what they look like quickly and easily. Even a bad lens should get 30 lpm to the negative. Although, we didn't spring for the most expensive scanner, I don't think I am getting over about 25% of what I have on the negative into the computer. Especially when I have a full range of tones on the negative. I don't think lens quality is going to be much of an issue for you. Recent studies show that 35mm negatives have at least 30 to 45 meg of information on them. If you try to bring everything on a 4X5 into Photoshop you will need a lot of patiences or a much faster computer than mine.

Neal

Neal
bgotori

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All

Thanks for all the replies!!! Well I guess I get the cheaper 65mm lens, and just save my money for a few other lenses. I'll play with it at 6x9 and 4x5, this will tell me if I can get it to work for me. I wanted the 65mm mainly for the 6x9 work or anything for 4x5 is a bonus, just asking if I could get it to work with the 4x5 neg.

Thanks for the Help!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
bgotori@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: