Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number 53 film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeyd

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Number 53 film Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for the number 53 film backing paper? IE How long is it and where the markings fall?
The 53 film is for the 1922 4x5 roll film holder.

Thanks in advance
JD
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 53 film---that's a new one on me. Kodak made several 4x5 roll film sizes over the years between 1896 and 1904, for example no. 104,109, and 123. Sorry I have no further info than this.

Last edited by Henry on Fri May 19, 2023 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeyd

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Number 53 film Reply with quote

I'm mainly only concerned with 53 but for complete reference.....

There is Number 50, 51, 52, 53 and 54
These were made into into the 50's I have some verichrome boxes of each of these film that all have expirations in the late 50's...
That said they were empty or just had spools in them when I acquired them.
And I only have a Number 53 film holder. I learned about the others thru the course of looking for 53 spools and such.

50 3.25 x 2.25

51 4.25 x 3.25

52 5.5 x 3.25

53 5x4

54 7x5

Anyhow...
the 53 holder will take 5" Ilford film if I roll my own or I can use 5.25" aerial film.
Currently I use the film bare no backing loaded in the darkroom with the film count window taped shut I count turns for frames.
This does not allow daylight loading.
And I have leader waste at the beginning and end of the roll using the film to attach to the spools instead of paper.

I've never had an original roll of 53 just an empty box with the film dim's on the box and empty spools. The box says 5x4 on one end and 12.5cm x 10cm on the other.
The film holders window is 4.8in wide and 4in tall.
I have two different width spools both fit fine in the holder 1 style is
5in wide between the ends the other style is 5.25in between the ends
The overall length of the center dowel is the same on both styles a simple slot on one end and a dimple on the other.

Attached is a photo of the box

http://jozefduszynski.com/PICS/IMG_20230519_140216.jpg
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief search turned up this table, from the wiki: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Film_sizes_and_designations . The 50-series films are listed after the many three-digit roll film sizes. Ya learn something new every day....
joeyd

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Number 53 film Reply with quote

Never seen that site.
They do have an inaccuracy with the Discontinued dates
The boxes I have contain dates well into mid to late 50's
Where that site has dates of 1949 thru 1951 for discontinuation.

If I had to bet 1956 MFG with expiration of AUG 1959 (That is my latest date by expiration of the boxes that I have)

Anyhow l'd like to find the backing paper for the dimensions (sort of like unicorn hunting) but hey.... Ahab had his whale... I have muh 53 film!! LOL!
joeyd

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Number 53 film Reply with quote

I was recently given an unopened roll of #53 film If anyone is interested I can post the dimensions and photos of the backing paper, spools, ect if you want to "Roll your own".

JD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: