Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Press Graflex information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Press Graflex information Reply with quote

I recently received a Press Graflex 5x7 in fair-to-poor shape. There is very little information about this camera available online. I don't even know where to look for the serial number. I understand that the spring back can be removed, which I would like to do in order to inspect the shutter, but the method of removal is not obvious. Any suggestions would be welcome.
jerryg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a slider switch on the underside of the back. this will release the spring pin for the bottom. for the top spring, slightly pull out the bottom of the ground glass frame to clear the body, push in on the center of the spring and slide down. this should release the frame.

if you need, when i get home i can do a quick video for you.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common places for the serial number are:
1. behind the view hood on the view hood door. You may have to disconnect the view hood from the door to see it.
2. front standard/bed.
3. around the view opening, may be hard to see.
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryg wrote:
there is a slider switch on the underside of the back. this will release the spring pin for the bottom. for the top spring, slightly pull out the bottom of the ground glass frame to clear the body, push in on the center of the spring and slide down. this should release the frame.

Got it. Thank you. The switch was a bit sticky but I was eventually able to slide it.
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Common places for the serial number are:
1. behind the view hood on the view hood door. You may have to disconnect the view hood from the door to see it.
2. front standard/bed.
3. around the view opening, may be hard to see.

Found it. It was right next to the hood, didn't need to disassemble anything to see it. Serial number is 78254. I figured that was likely the case, because Grant Haist mentions this camera in his book "George Eastman's Cameras", describing the broken handle and even gives the serial number. It's nice to confirm that, though.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

78254 - in the middle of a listing for 150 cameras in 1916.
Dates were not listed until 1923, date periods were added by a researcher in the 1950's.
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
78254 - in the middle of a listing for 150 cameras in 1916.
Dates were not listed until 1923, date periods were added by a researcher in the 1950's.

Thanks again. That was about what I figured, 1916, but it's nice to know for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: