Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 22 Infinity Focus Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
comet_catcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Graflex 22 Infinity Focus Issue Reply with quote

I have a Graflex 22 model 400 that focuses past infinity for both the taking and viewing lenses when the focus knob reads infinity. Both lenses are in sync (they come to focus together at the same point) but are in focus at infinity when the focus knob reads 25 feet. I have looked at the internal focus cam and there is no adjustment. I also do not seem to be able the loosen the focus knob and make an adjustment there. It is held in place by what appears to be a tapered pin. I have fashioned a support block to place under the knob and attempted to hammer the pin loose to no avail. This could all be fixed if I could just get the focus knob loose. Any ideas about a fix for this, or why this happened in the first place? BTW, I just purchased this camera so I have no history to give you. This may have been like this since it was purchased and the owner just used a visual focus. Since both lens focus together it really made no difference. I am just concerned that I am losing some of the close up focus since so much of the lens board is moving past infinity. Thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://learncamerarepair.com/downloads/pdf/Graflex-22-Service.pdf
The focus knob pin is tapered. Drive out from the small end.
I suspect that a shim or washers were left out when someone else had it open.
comet_catcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I believe that the cam shaft holding the focusing knob has a hole in it that the tapered pin goes through. How do I adjust the focusing knob if the pin only goes in one way? The entire lens board is only about 1/16 inch off from where it should be. It needs to be that far further forward. Perhaps I can remove the entire lens board and insert some washers as you suggest to extend it out a bit? Like I said, I have placed a ground glass across the film plane and both taking and viewing lenses match up so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a fix for this. Thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at pdf page 16 and 17 of the linked manual. 13 and or 14 go between 12 and 16.
12 is the plate assembly that the lens attach to; 16 is the shell that 12 attaches to. 13 and 14 are different thickness washers that go between 12 and 16 to achieve correct focus.
13 is .032 inch thick.
14 is .010 inch thick.
AR is the quantity to be used AS REQUIRED!
1/16= .0625
3/32= 09375
1/8= .125
Use a target at least 5000 feet away. Measure the distance from fully retracted to the point where infinity just comes into sharp focus.
Find or dress down brass or steel flat washers to the thickness of the measured distance to achieve infinity focus placing washer(s) under each screw that holds 12 to 16.
comet_catcher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the Graflex 22 lens board apart. had to get a new spanner wrench that could go deep enough into the body to unscrew the rear lens collar holding it to the board. Turns out there was just one washer under the lens board about the thickness of a sheet of paper. Replaced it with a 1/16" washer and reassembled. The focus now goes just slightly past infinity, which I am OK with. I adjusted the viewing lens so it has the exact same focus. had to replace the ball bearing on the focus cam as well as it had pitted badly and was difficult to turn. Works great now. Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: