Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sourcing a focusing panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dono111

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Sourcing a focusing panel Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to figure out the search term for a focusing panel... It might just be that.

Basically, I picked up a Crown Graphic that came with a functioning rangefinder (I think it's accurate based on eye testing against my M4P), and a rollback.

I want to be able to focus and shoot 4x5 (I know you can just stick the holder in there).

What am I looking for as a replacement part to find on the auction site? I *think* I've found one, basically I just need the part that inserts into the graflok and has a spring loaded area for a film holder, right?
Henry

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Century Graphic Parts Catalog, that part is called a "Focusing Frame."
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both the side rangefinder and top rangefinder Pacemaker Graphic Service manual its called Frame Assembly-Focusing.

Focus panel or ground glass panel should get you the listings on ebay but one never knows how sellers will list it as many have no clue as to what they're selling.
dono111

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't found any good examples. Patience I guess.

Are any other Graflok (like say a Toyo) focus frame any use? Or am I pretty much browsing for Graflex ones?

Testing the rangefinder now on a roll in the rollback. Yay 6x9.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dono111 wrote:
Are any other Graflok (like say a Toyo) focus frame any use? Or am I pretty much browsing for Graflex ones?.

Sorry, no. Sorry, yes.

Think about buying a 4x5 film pack adapter (FPA) and converting it into focusing panel. Remove the back, put a piece of ground glass, ground side forwards, in the adapter that there you almost are.

I say almost because if you make a focusing panel this way the GG won't quite be in register with film in a film holder (roll film or sheet film). I don't have a 4x5 film pack to measure, you'll have to get one and use its front as a shim between the GG and FPA or measure the thickness of the metal gate and use brass shim stock of the right thickness.
dono111

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
dono111 wrote:
Are any other Graflok (like say a Toyo) focus frame any use? Or am I pretty much browsing for Graflex ones?.

Sorry, no. Sorry, yes.

Think about buying a 4x5 film pack adapter (FPA) and converting it into focusing panel. Remove the back, put a piece of ground glass, ground side forwards, in the adapter that there you almost are.

I say almost because if you make a focusing panel this way the GG won't quite be in register with film in a film holder (roll film or sheet film). I don't have a 4x5 film pack to measure, you'll have to get one and use its front as a shim between the GG and FPA or measure the thickness of the metal gate and use brass shim stock of the right thickness.

Smart. I'm kicking myself for not paying attention that it didn't include one.
peter k

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... how about this

Graflex crown speed graphic 4X5 back frame
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284288018981?hash=item4230e2ea25:g:Ur8AAOSwhNlglxkm
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a Graflok back, though.
dono111

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter k wrote:
Hmmm ... how about this

Graflex crown speed graphic 4X5 back frame
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284288018981?hash=item4230e2ea25:g:Ur8AAOSwhNlglxkm

Hoping to not have to replace the graflok back I have, just need the focusing frame.

I've ordered another one in hopes it works, appears to be just the frame.
keshlam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Since I do have a film pack to measure... Reply with quote

... and a (cheap) micrometer...

The best I can get right now is that it's between .15 and .17 inches from the outside face of the film pack adapter to the surface of the film. This is based on my trying to read where the micrometer met its shadow without depressing the film back against the spring. And I suspect that's more precision than this combination normally held the film at, since the pack or the spring support behind the film might not fully seat.

Yeah, sacrificing a film pack's body and using the combination to mount the ground glass would probably be simpler, assuming you have a pack you're willing to sacrifice. And probably no less accurate. But I'm a bit reluctant to sacrifice the never-used film pack I've got in order to try this. If anyone has a spare 3x4 ("anna quahtah" -- I'm in the Bwahston area) film pack you're willing to part with, I'm willing to try that experiment.

Otherwise, McMaster-Carr has 0.16" "ultra-machineable" brass shim stock at a reasonable price. Close enough for the experiment. Now to get a measurement for the ground glass size.

(If I was gonna modify the adapter, I'll need measurement from inside it. If I'm making my own frame for the ground glass, this should be the right number. More or less.)

(Obvious observation: Ground side goes toward the camera.)

The hazard of getting an engineer interested in a stupid idea is that we'll go ahead and work out the full design before conceding that, yes, it was stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: