Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telephoto on Super D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Hallett

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Telephoto on Super D Reply with quote

The 15" Teleoptar is supposedly the "official" telephoto lens for the Super D Graflex, and yet there is a practical problem in using it. Because of the recessed lens mounting and lens hood in the Super D, when the lens is in place it is almost impossible to either see the f-stop scale or to adjust the diaphragm opening. Doing either requires turning the camera practically upside down, which is inconvenient, to say the least. Does anyone know how this problem was solved by Graflex? A "top hat" lens board, perhaps?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Interchanging Lens section of the online RB Graflex Instruction Manual linked in the title line of this section.
Remove the lens board, reclock the lens mount, reinstall the lens board.
William Hallett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I looked in the manual, but I cannot see any reference to this problem. (Couldn't find anything in the Graflex-Graphic book either.) I already have the lens oriented in the board so that I can see the index mark on the f-stop scale through one corner of the lens board recess, but to view it I have to turn the camera over, and to adjust it I can only get one finger in between the lens and the recess. Very awkward!
choiliefan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a couple of these 15" on Super D and 5X7 Press. Both lenses had a small milled land with two tapped holes on the aperture dial.

I measured, cut, bent and drilled a suitable piece of aluminum to form an arm to adjust the aperture from the front of the camera. Very simple job actually.
William Hallett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's an excellent idea. A couple of 0-80 screws would be about right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: