Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sourcing Anniversary Speed Graphic 3x4 Replacement Bellows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adv_rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Sourcing Anniversary Speed Graphic 3x4 Replacement Bellows Reply with quote

Howdy

I was wondering if anybody had tips on finding replacement bellows for a 3x4 anniversary speed graphic. Based on the serial number the camera is from 1940 and the bellows are extremely dry and pinholed. I've done a modest patch job with permatex gasket sealant, but the repair probably won't last long. Plus the repair is as ugly as sin.

Even correct dimensions for the bellows would be helpful so i can try to find a replacement on Ebay (most sellers seem to guess at what replacement parts actually fit).

From what I can tell rear opening exterior dimensions are about 5x4 and the front exterior opening dimensions are 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. Rear opening interior dimensions are about 3 1/8 x 4 1/8 and the front interior opening dimensions are about 3x3.

Kinda hard to get exact measurements until I rip the camera apart ... which I don't want to do until I have a replacement sourced.

Bellows seem to be held in place at the rear by folded metal tabs. Not entirely sure how bellows are attached in the front. I've sourced/replaced bellows on a few other folding cameras and I was surprised I couldn't track down some new old stock.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated!
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Anniversary Speed Service Manual https://graflex.org/manuals/4x5-Anniversary-Speed-Graphic.pdf will cover the Miniature Speed but it does not have part numbers for the Miniature.

Take the image frame internal measurements for the bellows rear size. The front mount to the front standard with 4 screws, the outer edge of the bellows at the front standard measurement for the front. Extend the bellows to its maximum, measure from the rear of the front standard to the mount frame for their length.

The bellows attached to the rear with 1/4 inch tacks. Remove the tacks to separate the bellows from the body. Install the replacement bellows with contact cement applied to the body edge and press the bellows edge in place while the contact cement is wet. Attach one side at a time. Use Pliobond 25 contact cement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLIOBOND-GENERAL-PURPOSE-ADHESIVE-3-oz/174439616321?hash=item289d694f41:g:1Z8AAOSwzOJfYvpX

Camera Bellows in the UK reportedly makes the best replacement bellows, those listed from Hong Kong reportedly do not fit well in some cases.

I did not see a replacement bellows on ebay at this time.
adv_rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply - I'm new to Speed Graphics, but my understanding was a 3x4 speed graphic was not a Miniature Speed.

From the manual link you sent I was able to google and find the manual for a 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic:
https://learncamerarepair.com/downloads/pdf/Graflex-3x4-AnniversarySpeedGraphic-Service.pdf

Looks like bellows replacement is a bit different than the 4x5.
As I suspected bellows are held in the rear by metal tabs. Manual also specifies front bellows are secured by 4 screws which is helpful.

Looks like the bellows part # is 17582 which is good to know.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. Just need to find the part!
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Miniature Speed is 2x3 not 3x4. My mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: