Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newby Q: Proper film holders for circa-'48 Crown Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangecicle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Newby Q: Proper film holders for circa-'48 Crown Graphic Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a former news photographer from back in the late 80s. I shot Nikon FM2s back then. After years of shooting digital, I've started shooting film again and discovered medium format (Voigtlander Bessa II, Voigtlander Bessa, Voigtlander Perkeo, Mini-Crown (6x9), etc.) as well as large format. I have my first Crown Graphic incoming. It looks as if it was made in about 1948 (lens date code "EI" and serial number beginning "97." The camera comes with the Graflok back and without film holders.

What would be the best option for a good film holder? I see a number of Riteway holders that look appropriate on FleaBay, but I come to large format with little knowledge. Up until this point, all of my film has come in rolls.

Also, I develop my own B&W at home. I haven't tried C-41 yet, but that is on the horizon. What say you about 4x5 development tanks? I see the SP-445 type of tank that suspends the film in the tank without folding it. That sounds like the best option to me, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/holders.html
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the camera you pictured has a Graphic rangefinder on the top of the body. This configuration is known as the Top Rangefinder Pacemaker Crown/Speed Graphic. It was introduced in 1955.
Download the guidebook from my google drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghM0RuVXpkZnRnbVk/view?usp=sharing

For 4x5 sheet film development:
Jobo multi tank 2 , previous versions 2500, 2521, 2523 (cog lid). All the same tank.
Jobo 2509n 4x5 reel
Jobo roller base.
Jobo 2502 adjustable reel for 35mm, 120, 220

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=jobo%20tank&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Rotary processing uses 300ml chemical and requires reversing rotation direction ever minute to eliminate streaks. Worth every penny.

Last edited by 45PSS on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangecicle, another option would be to shoot 120 roll film using a 4x5 roll film holder back. For example, Ilford XP2 Super, a chromogenic b/w film, develops in C-41 chemistry. Of course, you won't be getting a 4x5 negative out of that combination.
hsandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use old Kodak hard rubber open tanks with film hangers. The disadvantages are that you have to do the whole development process in the dark, and they need about 1.5 L of chemicals. You can do about 8 sheets at a time. When I only need to do 1-3 sheets I do them « taco style » in a Patterson 2-reel tank with reels removed. You can see the technique on youtube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: