Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed graphic date?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Speed graphic date? Reply with quote

Hi All,

my gear addiction continues and this time I added a speed graphic to my collection via a thrift shop. It has a serial number of 887238, has a side mount kalart and a graflok back, the camera is super clean and came with a bunch of 4x5 film holders and a 6x7 roll film back.

I found the url - http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html which has a page with serial numbers and per the data there mine is between the 2 values below.
886161 – crown -- 1951
888157 – 4x5 crown – 1953

I'm guessing a 1952 or 1953?

I haven't shot 4x5 yet and don't know a thing about it. To add to the fun, I opened up one of the film holders and it has film in it and had the black side out. The one piece I obviously trashed but I'm curious of the history of what the camera might have taken photos of and was thinking of developing the film. I have no idea what type of film so I was wondering if the notches were some type of code as to the film variant?

There are 2 notches in the lower right corner when I hold the pull handles in my left hand. does that mean anything?

any good recommendations on a developing tank / sheet film developing holder?

I saw this one and it seemed simple to me
https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-shop/bs-4x5-developing-reel
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial number dates given in these threads are an approximation as its the date an order was listed and is unknown when the cameras were actually made.
The list you linked to is a acclimation of the numbers posted on this site up to early 2007.

887238 is about mid point of a 3000 unit order for 4x5 Speed Graphics listed 8/20/1953. A similar order was listed in November 1953.
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that info.

as to my other question about how to identify film by notches. I did some googling and came across
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code

and per the info there the film in the camera is Kodak Royal Pan 4141 and is B&W so whenever I get a developing tank and film holder I'm going to try to develop some and see what I get.

nothing like a mystery waiting to be solved.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Jobo 2500 tanks, 2509n reel, and manual roller base. The roller base may be listed with the 1500 tank system but the older version was adjustable to fit any Jobo tank.
When doing rotary developing on B&W you must do an equal number of rotations in each direction to prevent streaks. I do 1 minute intervals in each direction and partial minutes do not cause adverse affects.
Several members on Photrio use Patterson tank with a Mod54 film holder.

Kodak reused notch codes 25 to 30 years after a film was discontinued. Expect fog and the film may have never been exposed.
Test a sheet before committing all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: