Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with shutter curtain. Revised

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbendo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Help with shutter curtain. Revised Reply with quote

Ok I’ll try again

I’m attempting to put repaired shutter curtain back in 3x4 auto graflex.

The top of the shutter curtain has 10 inches of extra curtain then a formed recessed area that looks like it was where the curtain was rolled up.

half of the curtain came off the top roller when I took it out, leaving the roller in the camera.

I rolled curtain up on bottom roller put in camera rolled up to top roller.

Where do I attach (glue) the curtain to the top roller? Is the recessed area the
end ?

Should I glue the very end to the roller then roll it up into the recessed area?

You think your confused? How do you think I feel hehehehehehe .

I post went away when I tried to preview it

Here are some picks

https://www.flickr.com/gp/dbendo/288D60
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe a line down the center or the roller central tube. Apply glue to the end of the curtain and attach it to the roller then when you're certin the curtain is perfectly centered and the end parallel to the roller so that the curtain winds up straight then apply glue to the curtain so that 1 complete turn of curtain is glued to the roller 9curtain just touches itself).
Wind the curtain onto the top roller, pack the curtain (set tension to its highest setting, wind to the smallest aperture, run the curtain down, repeat 10 times) then set the starting point for closed after open and glue the curtain to itself about 1/4 inch further down the curtain.
dbendo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Auto reflex curtain Reply with quote

In the first step after gluing and and one complete turn is perfectly

centered is it sapposed to roll into the recessed area in the photo?

I’m not understanding glue the curtain to itself 1/4 “ down the curtain?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.That recessed area is a result of the curtain staying tight on the top roller and drying out. It is not a made in feature.
2. The scribed line should be parallel to the roller shaft. Where the curtain is after 1 complete turn onto the top roller is irrelevant to that dried in recess/indentation.
3. After attaching the curtain to the top roller set the initial tension to 10 to 15 turns of the tension spring on tension setting 1 then set the tension knob to its highest, wind the curtain to its smallest aperture, run down to closed after open, then repeat the winding and run down 10 times to pack the curtain (takes the slack out so the curtain is tight on both rollers). Next adjust the top roller gear mesh with the wind key so that the aperture stays are about 1/4 inch above the roller at the top of the image frame when the curtain is wound to each aperture and then when released the aperture stay is 1/4 inch below the roller at the bottom edge of the image frame with the M lever held in the full release position. When this is correct then run the curtain down to closed after open. If the curtain will continue to run down more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn glue the curtain to itself to limit the amount of run down after closed after open.
dbendo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I will keep at it, it’s making a little more sense, I have two more that need serviced that I’ve had laying around since I joined graflex.org some time
ago, then got side tracked. eBay said pliobond could not be sent to Tahoe
So I’m using the Weldwood latex contact cement. McMaster Carr. Has .007
Copper, brass and tin/lead sheets for stays.

Thank you for your patience and all your all help to keep these marvelous
Cameras alive. Dave
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used DAP Wledwood Nonflammable Contact Cement before, it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: