Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5x7 speed graphc, no light block felt ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: 5x7 speed graphc, no light block felt ?? Reply with quote

I just got in a 5x7 speed graphic, in tuning and cleaning it up I noticed there is no light blocking felt...at all or ever has been on the back for he film holder to rest on. so how does it keep the light from getting in ?
[url][/url]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have the focus pannel for the back. The spring pressure of the focus pannel and the light trap ridge seat was demed adaquate in the day. Velvet ribbon or other thin material can be added to the frame if needed to improve light tightness.

The 5X7 Speed was made from 1912 to 1925.
https://graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html
jerryg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the extra info

to get the correct stuff/felt where should i go? is this regular upholstry stuff?

i do have the spring back, i took it off to clean and seen there was no felt
jerryg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the extra info
i have a few camera i would like to date, is there a place i can go to do that ?

to get the correct stuff/felt where should i go? is this regular upholstry stuff?

i do have the spring back, i took it off to clean and seen there was no felt
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i have a few camera i would like to date, is there a place i can go to do that ?

Post them here or start a new thread in this section.

Quote:

A fabric store should have it. Joann fabrics sells a velvet ribbon, good luck finding it though as my local Joanns showes it in stock but nowhere to be found in the store. Crushed dept should be .005 inch thick approximately or shim thee gg to match the new film plane distance and possibly resset the infinity stops.
William Hallett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe you need the felt at all. I have a 4x5 Anniversary and a Pre-anniversary. Neither has any felt in the back, but there is no problem with light leaks. The same is true of my wooden Burk and James view camera. As 45pss notes, if you add felt, you run the risk of shifting the focus plane. Graflok backs have felt, but it is in a recessed channel and does not interfere with the focal plane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: