Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker Speed Graphic "23"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smirshkahoven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker Speed Graphic "23" Reply with quote

Hi all - I recently acquired a pretty much mint Graflex "23", SN 413541 and Flash Synchronizer, both in their respective boxes. Only flaw I could find (I think) is that the finder on the 23 was the "long finder" and it looked like it was not original to the camera. I purchased a "short finder" from an eBay seller who advertised it as a "Baby Pacemaker" finder, but I'm not sure it's correct having now found conflicting information as to which finder is correct in this case. Can anyone help me verify which finder I should have? Thank you!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are short tubular viewfinders for 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics, and then there are short tubular viewfinders for 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics. I just measured mine:

2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, approximately 3 1/4". Your camera and mine are the same vintage.

2x3 Pacemaker Crown Graphics (two of them), approximately 2 1/2"

2x3 Century Graphic (supposedly nearly identical to 2x3 Crown), approximately 2 1/4:

You want a TVF that's no shorter than the camera's body is deep.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SN 413541 listed as a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Pacemaker Speed in the first quarter of 1947.

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html covers this camera.
It shows the "short" optical viewfinder on the 2x3 Speed.
smirshkahoven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Pacemaker Speed "23" Reply with quote

That's interesting and I appreciate both replies - if I read them correctly, I should have either a 3 1/4" finder or a "short" finder. The camera as I received it (presumed original) had the longer 3 1/4" finder but with the "short" finder I purchased mounted on the camera it looks like the photo in the Graflex manual. Is there any way to resolve this with certainty? And thanks again for your help- I hope to have a nice working camera when I'm done. Also looking for a 120 film back.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short finder as shown in the manual is wrong for your camera. It is for the 2x3 Crown, which has a thinner body than the 2x3 Speed. Your camera and mine have the correct original issue 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic TVF, with the eyepiece roughly flush with the back of the body.

There were no rules in Rochester and no one followed them.
smirshkahoven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Pacemaker 23 Reply with quote

That makes sense and I appreciate your help. Thanks! Now I need to find a mint or near mint long tubular finder since the one on my camera had suffered corrosion and has been deep sixed.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I need to find a mint or near mint long tubular finder since the one on my camera had suffered corrosion and has been deep sixed.

Take a look at https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=7005 especially the link in my post in that thread. If it isn't broken or missing parts its repairable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: